Best rimless cube? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Best rimless cube?

Hey guys, i want another tank, and want to try my hands on a rimless, dry-start igwami scape. Now the only problem is picking out a tank. I was thinking the mr.aqua 7.5, but im looking for something alittle bit bigger, but not the mr.aqua 25g. Is there any brand that might have one thats not ADA, or some place i can get a CHEAP ADA? Im gonna do my first DIY stand, so i wanna get the size tank down before i start planning the stand in the next few days.
THANKS so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 03:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
I love my mr aqua 7.5 cube (check my sig for journal), but if I could do it now, I'd get GLA's new low iron cube. It's very clean looking and priced right.

[50g][
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
][
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
][
][
][
][
][
][
][3g][2.1g] - [
] [
][
]
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitFUUL View Post
I love my mr aqua 7.5 cube (check my sig for journal), but if I could do it now, I'd get GLA's new low iron cube. It's very clean looking and priced right.
Wow looked at some of your tanks, there all awesome!
Dont think theres a diffrence between them tho except mr.aqua is abit cheaper :P

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

ADA is cheaper i found out but shipping is sky high,
So i think im going with mr.aqua, but get the archaea LED 30" light fix
Is this a nice light?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 04:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
the archaea 30 cm light is low powere led lights so at best they are low light. I have the finnex fugeray on my 30cm cube.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 10:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Just got the Mr Aqua 25g cube low iron one myself and am starting to set it up. The stand it comes with comes unfinished but with if you stain it and finish it, it can be any color you want. I haven't done a journal on it yet but so far I like the looks:

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznartist34 View Post
the archaea 30 cm light is low powere led lights so at best they are low light. I have the finnex fugeray on my 30cm cube.
Is your tank high tech? I like that light alot, and its cheaper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusiongt View Post
Just got the Mr Aqua 25g cube low iron one myself and am starting to set it up. The stand it comes with comes unfinished but with if you stain it and finish it, it can be any color you want. I haven't done a journal on it yet but so far I like the looks:

Ya the 25g is my favorite by far, but my room is so small it the 7g barely fits :P
Definitley start journal, ill follow
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Also just checked out catalinas aquarium and they have a LED strip with 9 1watt
Lights and 6700k
http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/stor...oducts_id=1847
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 07:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalmackdaddy View Post
Wow looked at some of your tanks, there all awesome!
Dont think theres a diffrence between them tho except mr.aqua is abit cheaper :P
Thanks. Yeah, Mr. Aqua is a great tank. And for the 7.5 gallon cube, I would highly recommend this light: http://www.amazon.com/CL26BK-Aquariu...finnex+clip+on

I just got it on my cube, it's cheap, looks very clean, and seems to be doing great!

[50g][
][
][
][
][
][
][
][
][3g][2.1g] - [
] [
][
]
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Thanks. Yeah, Mr. Aqua is a great tank. And for the 7.5 gallon cube, I would highly recommend this light: http://www.amazon.com/CL26BK-Aquariu...finnex+clip+on

I just got it on my cube, it's cheap, looks very clean, and seems to be doing great!
Wow that looks like a mice light to! Do you think i could carpet with it tho? Or maybe i would need 2.......
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'm trying for a dwarf hairgrass carpet and it's growing great so far. Also, the lamp has a pivot so you can slightly raise/lower it's position on the water. Mine is adjusted to be a bit higher on the water, due to an algae outbreak a few weeks back.

One light is more than enough. If you buy 2, then you'll definitely need to dose CO2 and ferts, or it will turn into an algae soup. (go back and check my 7.5 sig again, I had 2x27watt bulbs and it turned ugly quick)

[50g][
][
][
][
][
][
][
][
][3g][2.1g] - [
] [
][
]
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sweet, right now its between this one and the finnex. I wont need to do any co2 or ferts for the carpet because im dry staring with amazonia soil
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalmackdaddy View Post
I wont need to do any co2 or ferts for the carpet because im dry staring with amazonia soil

Good luck with it. I said the same thing and have been fighting diatoms for weeks, been melting my HC away.

[50g][
][
][
][
][
][
][
][
][3g][2.1g] - [
] [
][
]
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Good luck with it. I said the same thing and have been fighting diatoms for weeks, been melting my HC away.
Diatoms in a dry start??
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

After filling it. Everything was great without ferts for a month, then they hit. But I am using co2 also.

Either way, best of luck with the dry start, the 12" cube is a very nice size.

[50g][
][
][
][
][
][
][
][
][3g][2.1g] - [
] [
][
]

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode