Aquarium Rocks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aquarium Rocks

Hello guys I live in New York City and it's rather hard to find beautiful natural rocks. Do you guys have any idea where I can look? Perhaps parks?? I don't know. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 01:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Since we all have different ideas of beautiful, that part might be funky but for rocks of wide variety and cheap prices, I would suggest landscape supply places. Maybe if you narrow down what type you might like, others in your area will have better ideas for free rocks??
Landscape supply places bring in rocks of all sorts from all places so they have a good range available.

I like rocks from lakes and rivers, bring them home and do a bleach water soak to clean them and they are good to go.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

you can go to a nursery.. today i went to my uncles nursery and picked up some rocks from him although he didnt have much i found just enough to work .. i feel a landscape nursery would definatly charge you less than if you were to go to your LFS to buy

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'd suggest you go upstate into "farm country".... wonder around on some back roads and you can usually find farmers' rock piles. (Typically located at the edge of the field, near the road)

Once a year farmers go out "rock picking" and get all the rocks out of their fields (if you hit one with a plow / disk / etc, it'll do major damage).

I'm not sure if they'll be "pretty" but they'll be free!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 05:17 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Stone yards often have tons of different rocks for very cheap.

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

• 29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g -
Retired
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 05:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (53/98%)
Another source of interesting rocks are lapidary supply stores. Lots of beautiful agates and rocks that you wouldn't normally find in LFS. Just be sure to do a little research on the weirder ones to make sure they are compatible!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 05:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

If you want natural, check out the nearest stream. Nice smooth cobbles make the best natural-looking rocks.

"One day...one day, this path will lead us to the White City, and the tower guard will take up the call: the Lords of Gondor have returned!"

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 01:32 PM
Planted Member

I like lava rocks. Around here we've got huge lava fields, so its usually a matter of driving out and picking some up off the ground.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Out on lo g island there is a rock yard. Skyviewstone. Google it

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 01:38 PM
Algae Grower

Central Park or Battery Park maybe a place to go...
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 10:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Get them out of the hudson... might have to let them sit in bleach for a decade haha
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 05:20 AM
Algae Grower

Im going to santabarbera tmmr and maybe i can find something cool when i get out there.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 06:45 AM
Planted Member

In FL I find a ton of neat rocks but for some reason I never seem to like the look of them enough to put them in my tank. I love the look of lava and mountain rocks though. Wish I had some down here!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 07:02 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
I loved the rocks I had in my 75g, but decided to not use them since they only took up space and then were hidden by the plants.

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

• 29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g -
Retired

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode