Hmm is this normal, Identify this plant? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hmm is this normal, Identify this plant?

So I had this plant in my tank for a few months, weekly it releases leaves which float to the surface and expand/multiply on the surface.
Anyone care to identify, would this affect the growth of other plants?
the surface is 75% covered 55 gallon tank

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 11:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Based on experience with wisteria, leaves become broader with lower temperatures or possibly light.

Water might also have significantly less carbonates than what's available from surface CO2 and lights.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 11:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
If there isn't enough light getting through it could effect plants that have higher light requirements.

-Mike
Mini-M Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini-M Journal 2:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 12:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Not wisteria, actually looks like water sprite to me. This plant will send off daughter plants and it prefers to float vs. stay rooted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 12:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (456/100%)
it is water sprite https://www.google.com/search?q=wate...w=1600&bih=755

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 12:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Otherwise known as Ceratopteris

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 12:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

Ive never seen water sprite with that kind of growth, rooted or floating. The leaves of all mine spread into toothpick thin frills. The stems on those plants dont match mine either.

Edit: the stalks on water sprite also "unroll" from the rhizome, which doesnt seem to be happening to your plants; i could be wrong.. but it looks more like a transitioning wisteria plant..
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 01:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
it is definitely water sprite, and I feel like most people that don't think it is are confusing it with wisteria, which looks similar but is a totally different plant with completely different requirements

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 09:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

This is a water sprite branch, much more spindley... New branches almost literally unroll, sharing the spiral of a rams horn. In lower light, the plant is just less leaffy, stems are usually straight and twiggy. In medium light, stalk get as thick as a pencil and always tapers into a leafy branch.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I will take some pictures of juvi plants and floaters during the day. Those images do not look like water sprite to me at all.

The reason i thought wisteria is when you look at his floaters, they display both rounded(emergent) and trident-esque(submerged) leaves, unless there are different plants floating in with them.

Edit: leaves breaking off and forming roots is trademark of hygro... Im not saying its wisteria, but its not sprite.. water sprite produces babies like java ferns do.. his plant looks like a stem plant.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 12:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

As I recall, there are two varaties of watersprite. One as shown by the op and another as shown by the previous post. Both grow about the same, and can really take over the surface of a tank. It can form a mat a few inches thick, really blocking light and gas exchange, so it shoul be thinned out from time to time.

As a historical note, at one time, in the 1950's and 1960's, watersprite was considered the ideal plat to use in fancy guppy tanks, because it grew so easily. The theory was that if the plant did well, so would the guppies.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 02:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Ditto Dave K, there are 2 species of Ceratopteris. One has those almost linear, thin leaves (Photo posted by steven p). The other does not have that thin a leaf. Both sorts are floating plants, or are OK at the bottom, but will release the babies to float. Both sorts show different leaves submerged vs emersed. Both sorts have the same sort of wider leaf under water. It is the emersed leaf that is different.
Ceratopteris is a fern, and the new leaves grow by unrolling from the center of the plant.
When they are grown at the surface they will produce a fairly strong runner that grows new plants, in a manner similar to water lettuce.
Fish, especially fry, hide in the roots and eat the microorganisms that grow among the roots.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 03:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
That species is a lot of work as it grows so fast. Just keep scooping out the excess plants, replanting the biggest ones and enjoying it. This was the very first plant I had success with and I lost it because the tank ran out of nutrients and it crashed. Feed it! If you feed the tank and don't let the floaters build up the other plants should be okay.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 10:26 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
This one appears to be known as Broad-Leaf Water Sprite (Ceratopteris cornuta). http://www.aquahobby.com/garden/e_Ce...is_cornuta.php

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

• 29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g -
Retired
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (28/100%)
I have this exact plant, it is broad leafed water sprite.

RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 11:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Odd. Mine really wont emerge. Itll grow out of the water and turn to dust.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode