Keeping a tank crystal clean - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Keeping a tank crystal clean

Does anyone own a Fluval Edge? I'm starting to think the filter is garbage. I do regular water changes and I vacuum as well, yet there is still small particles floating around in the water. Especially when I use my gravel cleaner. The stuff comes up and then later settles back down. I used filtered tap water(drinking water) so it's expensive to change so much water at a time. How do you keep your tank clean and free of debris because this is impossible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbetta View Post
How do you keep your tank clean and free of debris because this is impossible.

use a better filter

The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 08:56 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
I think the filter is fine.. You can swap out the filter media for something more to your liking.. I use filter floss (pillow batting) rather than the carbon.. I dont have crap floating around my tank at all.. And I don't vacuum the substrate.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I don't get how the filter even works. The tube suck up water into the left compartment and flows into the right and then comes back into the tank...shouldn't it go through the sponge- which is at the bottom? I think the filter itself is slightly louder now than when I got it.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 09:27 PM
Planted Member

I've got an Edge. The filter is actually very good, (Basically its an Aquaclear 20) and is way capable of filtering 6 gallons of water to perfection.

My advice is to make sure you've got the sponge oriented correctly in the media basket thing, so that it is snug against the sides and water can't bypass it very much. If all else fails, get a bag of filter floss and stuff some in between the sponge and the carbon, or perhaps beneath the ceramic media.

Also, try a small foam pre-filter on the intake.

Oh, and keep on eye on the filter floss if you use some. It can get loaded with crud and block the flow, eventually.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 09:30 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
I don't get how the filter even works. The tube suck up water into the left compartment and flows into the right and then comes back into the tank...shouldn't it go through the sponge- which is at the bottom? I think the filter itself is slightly louder now than when I got it.
Possible you've got it set up wrong?

Yes, the impeller outputs water to the bottom of the filter, where it rises up through the media. Any excess is what is overflowing. This is normal btw, if you've got the flow all the way up. Its to prevent water from going where its not supposed to.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:

Very similar to a sump actually. There is actually a very small and thin dividing wall between where the impeller is and where you put the filter media. The water flows into the impeller, gets pushed to the underside of the filer media, and finally all the water goes through your media before being dumped back into the tank. If you look closely at your HOB, you'll be able to see the small passage between the filter media and where the water comes in at...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh, so the hole at the bottom sends the water to the sponge at the bottom. It just seems like its sucks up tank water and falls back in from the top.

I think what's happening is I have the fluval edge bamboo wall ornament and since it's designed to hide tube sticking into the water, not a lot of water/debris enters behind the ornament to be filtered. I also saw this thing that looks like a white microscopic worm on my glass...that can't be good.

btw, am I the only one who doesn't use the lid for the filter? I find it makes it sound louder with it on.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 10:28 PM
Planted Member

Its def louder with the cover. Sympathetic vibration or something.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 10:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It appears that you have a gravel substrate. In many cases that's the biggest part of the problem. The detritus/waste/uneaten food/decomposing plant matter - falls into the gravel & no amount of filtration will get it out.
Even vacuuming only gets a small amount. The bulk of it gets disturbed and dispersed into the water column each time you vacuum, and then it simply settles back down into the gravel. Not much accomplished.
Take on a project:
Remove your gravel & use silica pool filter sand as your substrate. All the waste will remain on top of the sand, to be easily vacuumed out. Then, as others have suggested, use filter floss (replaced regularly with new floss - min. every 2 weeks), and use the Fluval Edge fine mesh pre-filter sponge on your filter intake tube - and be sure to rinse it very well at least twice a week (takes but 2 minutes). On top of that, up the frequency of your wcs to twice a week, and presto - crystal clear water. (And a small bag of Purigen in your filter will make it even that much better - it will look like you have no water in the tank).
Try this - it works.

P.S. Want to see crystal clear ?
I do exactly what I'm suggesting you do, in this tank:
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...ul/lolliblues2
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 11:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette View Post
Its def louder with the cover. Sympathetic vibration or something.
A lot of the filters that I have had are louder with the lids on too. That's just how it is sometimes. Mine is vibrating for a couple minutes and then may stop for a day or hours.

-Mike
Mini-M Journal:

Mini-M Journal 2:
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
Even vacuuming only gets a small amount. The bulk of it gets disturbed and dispersed into the water column each time you vacuum, and then it simply settles back down into the gravel. Not much accomplished.
This is exactly my problem and I waste a lot of water doing it. Problem with sand is it'll harden and you have to stir it around often. From what I've been told, it's a pain to clean. I don't have uneaten food because I feed my betta pellets and I watch him eat it everytime.

PS: I'm considering adding neons to my tank. I know these are cheap fish and so I should feed them cheap food- but do they have pellets for tetras? because I don't want leftover flake bits to fall to the bottom.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 02:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
This is exactly my problem and I waste a lot of water doing it. Problem with sand is it'll harden and you have to stir it around often. From what I've been told, it's a pain to clean. I don't have uneaten food because I feed my betta pellets and I watch him eat it everytime.

PS: I'm considering adding neons to my tank. I know these are cheap fish and so I should feed them cheap food- but do they have pellets for tetras? because I don't want leftover flake bits to fall to the bottom.
Well, for starters, if you don't mind my saying so, you really don't need to use more expensive filtered water - straight out of the tap will do nicely.

And PFS will not harden, and you won't need to stir it around often (I think you're talking about 'play sand', which compacts easily).
And PFS is NOT a pain to clean - it's a piece of cake. Really.
You've seen my pics - what more can I say ?
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 03:52 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Just because neons do not cost as much as other fish does not mean you should cheap out on the food. Neons fed with good quality food have great colors and if you have flakes that fall to the bottom uneaten then you are overfeeding.

post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 04:17 AM
Planted Member

Well, he's putting neons into 6 gallons of water. So, either the school size is too small, or they are overstocked. Either way, neons are not going to be at their best.

Oh, and +1 on the pool filter sand. I'm running it in one of my 10g tanks. Works beautifully, and the cory cats are in heaven.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode