What wrong with these plants? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
What wrong with these plants?

Plants have been in this tank for about 2 weeks. Things are going down hill fast. Most of my other plants in the tank are about same age and doing fines. I think the ones that look bad are I think they are Sagittaria, Chilensis (Wideleaf)(Sagittaria platyphylla).

Substrate
MTS & Sand

Ferts
3 x a week
KN03
KH2P04
K2S04

3 x a week
Plantex CSM+B
Iron 11%

After weekly water change
GH booster

Light
160 Watt T5, 10 hours a day. Only have one set of lights on at a time, should I turn the other on? that would be 320 Watts

High Pressure CO2, via Reactor. Drop Checker is Green/Yellow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120627_194603.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	49916  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20120627_194614.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	49917  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 12:22 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Pictures or symptoms? Going downhill doesn't describe the problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Pictures or symptoms? Going downhill doesn't describe the problem.

Sorry pictures did not post for some reason, should be showing now.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
How high are the lights above the substrate?
What temperature is the water?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 12:40 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
What do the roots look like? Are the roots rotten/mush or is it just the top growth?

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
How high are the lights above the substrate?
What temperature is the water?
Water tempature is 77

The lights are 20 inches from the top of the substrate. That as high as they can go. I have low profile canopy.

Thanks
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
What do the roots look like? Are the roots rotten/mush or is it just the top growth?

Roots look normal to me, they have grown, not rotten/mush, white color, no brown
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 12:50 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_PA View Post
Roots look normal to me, they have grown, not rotten/mush, white color, no brown
How long have the plants been in the tank? Are they new additions or were they already in the tank, growing well, and then started doing this? If they were new, did you get them locally or were they mailed to you and how long ago?

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -

29g -
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
How long have the plants been in the tank? Are they new additions or were they already in the tank, growing well, and then started doing this? If they were new, did you get them locally or were they mailed to you and how long ago?

They were shipped. Over night fedex. I have had them for about 2.5 weeks. Along with about 50 other plants I added to the tank. All other plants seem to be fine so far.

Tank was already cycled before plants were added, I have lots of swords, micro swords, stem plants, hair grass, vals, all doing great.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 01:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
What is the tank size? I don't know what the 160 watts means - 2- 6 foot 80 watt bulbs?

Hoppy
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 01:08 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Okay, that's helpful information. There are three possibilities that come to my mind. One is the plants just aren't happy in your tank (water temp, pH, lighting, who knows). The second is the plants are going through transplant shock (similar to crypts melting old leaves). And the third is that the plants suffered during shipment. Even with overnight shipping, there's no way of knowing if the box was left out in the sun or in a cold a/c room or just where. Some plants are more sensitive to those things than others.

Have you noticed any new growth at all?

Be sure to clean out the dead and dying plant material. It's just decomposing into ammonia in the tank and forcing the plants to use up their energy on leaves that have no real hope. Clean the plants up, leaving only healthy growth.

90g -

29g -
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 01:16 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

This may be a known problem for this plant. Just found this: "If noticeable decay occurs on the leaves (it usually starts at the tips), it should be trimmed to prevent it from spreading to the rest of the plant, which can cause the entire plant to "'melt'." http://www.aquariumdomain.com/viewFr...eshwater_id=13

Yours isn't showing decay from the tips, but it did say it usually starts at the tip which indicates that it doesn't always start there.

Since the roots still look good, hopefully you haven't completely lost the plant.

90g -

29g -
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Vals melt and can take some time to acclimate to there new aquarium, it looks to me like all the old growth is melting, also any cut growth will melt but the new growth looks good from here, I would give them more time.

I had a tank were Jungle Val grew like crazy on one end and struggled on the other.

I'm sorry if they are a type of Sagittaria I have no idea, that is a plant I'm not familiar with.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 03:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (344/99%)
Send a message via Yahoo to gordonrichards
More important... ph of your water?

-Gordon
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 03:31 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Yeah, looks like a melt due to change in environment or excel.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode