anyone care to identify?

Should I scrub it off? I don't mind the way it looks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 12:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
looks like some sort of algae, but it might be a fungus growing from the driftwood if you haven't had it long and didn't boil it before putting it in the tank
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 12:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
BBA. Excel spot treatment. Up the co2... if no co2, try dosing excel at double strength. You're going to want to get rid of it ASAP because it will take over and be a PITA in no time. It doesn't look so hot when it's all over everything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 01:54 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgd View Post
BBA. Excel spot treatment. Up the co2... if no co2, try dosing excel at double strength. You're going to want to get rid of it ASAP because it will take over and be a PITA in no time. It doesn't look so hot when it's all over everything.
+1. Looks like BBA to me, too. Low/fluctuating CO2 is usually considered the cause. Once that's fixed, you can kill the BBA using excel or H2O2.

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

• 29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g -
Retired
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
BBA? reference link please?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 11:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Black beard algae. Whether it is bad or not depends on your outlook. It's rough if you have a planted tank but if not, it can be okay. Since you have Africans, I might leave it.
Sometimes it is easier to ignore nature than fight it but then that is a personal decision for you. I had a 75 full of it for a time but at some point the tank changed and it went away. I currently have it lining the tops of rocks in a 125 and people think it is great but then those are not planted tank folks who know algea is bad. Go figure! Many things are just a matter of what you like in YOUR tank! Sometimes I fight it, sometimes I leave it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 05:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

That stuff looks awesome in the right setting. If you like it, leave it. If not, it's a hellish job removing it, but those Pseudotropheus spp. will love to do that for you.

"One day...one day, this path will lead us to the White City, and the tower guard will take up the call: the Lords of Gondor have returned!"

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It can grow in pretty dense, but not very long, so it can look like a field of grass waving in the breeze uh... water current. There are not many fish that eat it, but perhaps some of your Africans might. Many of them do eat plants.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
That's the interesting thing about African cichlids. They often get labeled as plant eaters and some are. But then they have about a billion different types who eat different things. Some will eat the algae, some will "comb" the algae for small stuff but not eat it and some will totally ignore it. Sometimes it seems to be a "learned " process. If they see other fish eating plants they may start also. I find so many myths about fish that I am pretty much left to try things if they seem like they might work. So do, some don't.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode