Topless Fluval Edge? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Topless Fluval Edge?

I too have fell victim to the novelty idea of the fluval edge. But needless to say its a PITA to clean and maintain. So I guess fortunately the top cracked due to my glumsy self. I took the top off and it looks like a pretty good rimessless tank. I know that this isnt made to be rimless, but i know that people have derimmed the cheaper quality petco/smart tanks. Wondering how safe are the seams on the fluval edge. Planning on making it a work tank and would probably be in a world of hurt if this tank busted on me. Also, as far as pressure is involved, would there be more pressure in the tank if there were contents such as rocks and wood and filled with water or would the pressure be the same or greater if the tank was just completely filled with water? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Sorry in advance if this is the wrong forum to address this issue. Phil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 09:58 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think people took the top of of their fluval edge in the thread for it in the planted nano tank section. I would check that thread out, has lots of info on the fluval edge.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 10:02 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
I can't speak about it personally since my EDGE still has the top (for the time being anyway) however I have read about quite a few people taking the tops off of them without issue.

Can't say for sure but looking at things I would think after the top is gone it would render the stand (and for sure the top cover of course) useless so you would lose the "EDGE" look but it would no doubt make a good looking regular rimless.

As far as pressure goes I would think it might be less with more wood and rock and less water as a whole but that's just a complete guess on my part since I'm no scientist.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the quick response. I think it's fine. I haven't read any issues as well. Maybe I'm just blind or no horror stories. I was thinking about picking up a new tank, but this hobby gets expensive so where ever you can save money i would want to go with that route.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 10:10 PM
Planted Member

hey Phil,

Tank with only water has allot more pressure than the same tank with substrate, rocks, wood and equipment.

use this tool link to see if your edge can withstand the pressure

http://www.theaquatools.com/building-your-aquarium

http://www.theaquatools.com/building-your-aquarium
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 12:37 AM
Algae Grower

Will the glass on the edge separate over time? I own one and I'm always worrying that it'll collapse and start leaking when I'm not at home or something. It looks like it's just glued together with silicone and when I got it there was already a tiny tiny small small crack/scratch on the edge or it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 12:45 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
The water pressure on tank walls is a function of the depth of water. It does not matter the volume of water or whether there are rocks or wood.

This is just the water pressure. Thickness of glass is a function of tank size and does not matter if there are rocks or wood in it. (the bottom plate has to deal with the weight)

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-- 20g shrimp jungle --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So according to the tool, it should hold with the thickness of the glass. So I guess a tank doesn't bust at the seams but from the bow of too much pressure in the middle of the glass? But wouldn't the top of the edge kind of hold the tank all together similar to having rims on a tank. I understand rimless tanks and the strength to hold it together, but wouldn't it be different for tanks that are made to be rimless and tanks that are forced to be rimless.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 05:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
how big is the edge? tanks under like...30 gallons can usually be derimmed safely without busting a seam/bowing out.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 05:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I believe in the official fluval edge thread a few people did remove their top because it was cracked and they made it work. If I remember right, they used a razor blade and floss/fishing line.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode