Aggressive Medicated Fish Quarantining? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aggressive Medicated Fish Quarantining?

Following a problem I've had with serial casualties, I'm now considering aggressive quarantine procedures for any new stock I acquire.

This article discusses the principle of doing so, but in respect to saltwater which is not so different of course. http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/dis...gressiveqt.htm

I was thinking of using the combined parasitic, fungal, & bacterial treatment consisting of Nitrofurazone/Meronidazole/Seachem ParaGuard. This remedy was previously packaged as Paragon 2 and produced by Aquatronics who are now defunct however, (although I'd also heard that it is supposed to be done with Kanaplex/Kanamycin instead of Paraguard).

I'm about to treat my existing tank and remaining fish with that remedy, and then break my beautiful planted tank down and will have to reestablish everything.

Does this seem like an acceptable solution? And would I need to treat all new plants, fish, snails, and shrimp with this in order to be safe about it, and would things like shrimp and snails even survive that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 09:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
I wouldn't hit the fish with everything if you don't have to. I like to do a dewormer and a full lengthy quarantine. After that you should be good. No reason to waste all that money on meds. And you don't want to use antibiotics if you don't need to.

I usually don't bother treatin sick fish either. If I see something nasty with a fish (pop eye, dropsy, major wounds, etc.) they get put down. Unless is something prized or extremely valuable. Once they are weakened I'm not spending $20 on a $3 fish, and I hate putting previously sick fish back in a healthy tank. Better safe than sorry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 10:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I generally go with the same plan. Saltwater fish are many times much more expensive so treating may make sense. But many times I find my fish do not survive and I have wasted time and effort on a lost cause. I keep mostly African cichlids and the most expensive fish I have can be bought for $40-50 so there is not much room for me to buy and stock medicines. I find it far better to keep them healthy!
When it doesn't work, I'm not slow to cut the losses and move on.

If you can't be sure of the disease, and most can't, how can we be sure of the cure? Most medicine reads far better than it works, even in humans. What if the cause is in the treatment of the tank and after you tear it all down to rebuild, you find the same problem?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unfortunately, so far as I can discern my current tank may have been suffering from Mycobacteriosis. Once I've treated that and broken everything down to sterilize things, I'd like to try to keep that out of my tank in the future. And just quarantining and deworming new arrivals isn't quite enough to achieve that.

I'm not bothered about the price of the medication, and have been much more bothered about having lost the fish I liked regardless of their insignificant cost.

My plan was to keep the tank and fish healthy, which I thought I was doing well until I was gradually losing many of my fish regardless of no problems in water parameters. With keeping everything healthy not having worked as well as hoped I thought I should try something else finally.

I don't like treating for things I can't be sure of either, but I don't feel as if I can just sit idly while continuing to lose things. So far as I can tell the combined medication treatment should cover many of the potential conditions which my tank may have had. And I might have the same problem again at the end, but might as well try.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode