Dry start method (Need Advice) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Dry start method (Need Advice)

After doing some reading on the internet, I've been hearing alot about the dry start method. The pros about it are that its cheaper and less maintenance. And the con is that the plants will melt if not supplied with enough co2 during the water filling process.

I was planning to follow this guide.
http://www.shrimpnow.com/content.php...y-Start-Method

Can someone tell me if the guide is safe to follow, as I don't want my plants to die on me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 10:03 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
hmm seems like an alright start.. water is a bit high in the front of the tank... which probably explains why there is not as much growth as the back of the tank. I Just started a dry start last night. here are the pictures from last night:

All gave some, Some gave all
Active tanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Retired Tanks

/
/
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm impressed! How much water will work? A few more questions. What substrate and and are you using any additives. My ada aqua soil is coming in soon, and I'm not sure if its good enough by itself. Last question, when misting or adding water should I use conditioned tap water or does it matter at all? For some reason I am thinking that people are adding different type of chemicals into their spray bottles and misting when the chemical is needed.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 02:26 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I am just over 2 weeks into a DSM on a 75 gal. Glosso, DHG, Anubias, crypts, and some Peacock Ferns all seem to be doing well.

I have a glass top on the tank and it keeps the humidity in nicely. The tank glass gets lots of condensation and I can hardly see in there.

I have very little water in mine. It has been below the substrate for the past 2 weeks, but I worked on the hardscape this weekend and added a little water... lowest spots of the substrate are now below water level... this happens to be only where the glosso is planted and so far it seems unaffected.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 07:55 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadium View Post
I'm impressed! How much water will work? A few more questions. What substrate and and are you using any additives. My ada aqua soil is coming in soon, and I'm not sure if its good enough by itself. Last question, when misting or adding water should I use conditioned tap water or does it matter at all? For some reason I am thinking that people are adding different type of chemicals into their spray bottles and misting when the chemical is needed.
From what I have been doing it is just below the surface of the substrate. You can mix in some ferts if you wish... but ada will do its magic by it's self. I have used plain tap water... in all my tanks. If white mold starts forming you should remove it asap... search the form for white mold and you will get tons of hits.

Active tanks

/

Retired Tanks

/
/
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye View Post
I am just over 2 weeks into a DSM on a 75 gal. Glosso, DHG, Anubias, crypts, and some Peacock Ferns all seem to be doing well.

I have a glass top on the tank and it keeps the humidity in nicely. The tank glass gets lots of condensation and I can hardly see in there.

I have very little water in mine. It has been below the substrate for the past 2 weeks, but I worked on the hardscape this weekend and added a little water... lowest spots of the substrate are now below water level... this happens to be only where the glosso is planted and so far it seems unaffected.
Nice, im planning to do dwarf tears and flame moss. Possibly DHG also. How will you be handling the water filling phase? Im quite worried about the "melting".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevchan View Post
From what I have been doing it is just below the surface of the substrate. You can mix in some ferts if you wish... but ada will do its magic by it's self. I have used plain tap water... in all my tanks. If white mold starts forming you should remove it asap... search the form for white mold and you will get tons of hits.
Thanks man, that will help me alot. I checked out your other tanks and they are very nice. Also same question I asked walleye, how do you handle the water filling process. I'm worried about the melting.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 10:43 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
From what I have read, and as you mentioned in your original post, the plants seem to need lots of CO2. I am purchasing a pressurized CO2 setup next week and will be running it heavily for the first week or so. I have a drop checker and will be getting a 2nd one.

I plan to do lots of testing of water for the nitrogen cycle. Lots of monitoring of the CO2 and the pH. I am in no rush to put many fish into it, so I want it to run the cycle and have time to settle in. I am planning to keep track of whatever I can monitor in a spreadsheet... hopefully the data will be useful.

Mostly just try to do everything the best you can, be prepared for closely monitoring the tank for a couple weeks after you flood, and then cross your fingers and pray it goes smoothly!

Oh, I just ordered a bunch of staurogyne repens today! I will need to give them a couple weeks to root (and they won't be here for a week), so I am probably looking at 3-4 weeks before I flood. DSM is a little brutal in the patience it requires.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 11:51 AM
Planted Member

Sorry for the late response... But compensating for free exchange of CO2 is needed. I had success at about 3-5 bps for like 3 days straight and then slowly bump to 1bps an hour before lights come on until you turn off your lights.

hope this helps... I have never found DSM to be too hard, I just have trouble with BGA and fungus... :/ but in the end it always works out some how

Active tanks

/

Retired Tanks

/
/

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode