White spots mostly on plant stems. Please help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
White spots mostly on plant stems. Please help!

Ive done quite a bit of research over the past couple of weeks on the internet but cant seem to find the answers, nor the same problem I have, to my issue. I have these white little spots on my plants that seem to be multiplying like crazy. They are mostly on the stem near the roots but have shown up on the leafs of my plants and even on my glass. They started on a Banana plant and have quickly spread to every plant in the tank except my Java Moss. I have attached a picture of a dried piece of stem I broke off with the white dots on it. Any suggestions as to what it is and how to get rid of it? It has already killed my Banana plant and I don't want to lose anymore plants. Thanks for the help all!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plant Fungis.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	49733  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 08:54 AM
Algae Grower

Do you have any nerite snails in there?

Journal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 09:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I second the nerite eggs

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I do have a snail that is brown with black stripes. I cant remember the name of it.... Would this be a nerite snail? Also if this is what the white dots are, are they harmful to the plants? My banana plant seemed to be fine until I got these guys on there.... Thank you all for the help so far! Somewhat relieving to know that they are eggs and not a fungus!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Definitely nerite snail eggs.

They will not hatch into baby nerite snails. They require salt in the water to hatch. Those eggs are doomed to do nothing more than sit there until you scrape them off.

They do not harm your plants. Whatever is going on with your banana plant is a separate issue.

I think they are just unsightly. After having nerites for 5 years or so, I finally gave mine away so I wouldn't have egg spots all over my tank when I redid it. My nerites put eggs everywhere -- on the plants, on the plumbing, on the substrate, you name it, it had an egg. The eggs did not go away over time either. They stayed the same for what seemed forever. Removing white egg spots from black plumbing wasn't fun as they were hard to scrape off. For this reason, I decided to give my nerites away.

However, as unsightly as the eggs may be, they do absolutely no harm to anything.

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode