Dirty Water? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dirty Water?

When I started my daily 5g water changes on a tank with 20g actual water volume, the water was clear when I took it out of the tank (maybe 3 days after the tank was set up) and then one day, it was really murky. Not that you couldn't see through it, you could very easily, but it was tinted brown slightly. It has gotten better since then and now its slightly tinted brown to where it looks a green/yellow, but you can still see through it fine. The tank has been up for one and a half weeks and I have tons of plants in there. I have four adults guppies and maybe 10-15 babies. You can't tell from looking at the tank that the water is tinted, only when I put it into a white bucket.

What does this mean? What can I do to lessen this brown-tinted water?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 02:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
do you have driftwood in there, or peat moss in the filter? or MGOPS as substrate? if so, then it's tannins that leached from whatever you have...
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatB View Post
do you have driftwood in there, or peat moss in the filter? or MGOPS as substrate? if so, then it's tannins that leached from whatever you have...
I have driftwood in there. Maybe that is it?

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 05:58 AM
Algae Grower

Probably the wood. 5 gallon changes...a DAY?
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 02:24 PM

I think that it's the wood. and in my opinion there is no need to change a 5 gallon water a day. Unless there are no filter in your tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All about freshwater aquarium plants.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
A week and a half? So the tank hasn't even cycled yet? Driftwood will release tannin that turns the water yellow to brown in color. Ammonia will make the water hazy.

Robert Paul Hudson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah. I got the guppies, then second-guessed putting them outside in the greenhouse, so I stuck them in an uncycled tank. I was told to do 5g changes a day to keep ammonia down, as well as adding AmQuel+.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 09:00 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
You were also given the suggestion to get an API Freshwater Master Test Kit and test the water parameters so you wouldn't be running blind.

Did you get the test kit yet?

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
You were also given the suggestion to get an API Freshwater Master Test Kit and test the water parameters so you wouldn't be running blind.

Did you get the test kit yet?
No.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 10:52 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Don't understand why people even try and help this guy anymore. He's ultimately going to do what ever he suggested in the first place more often then not goes against basic fish keeping then ignores all other advise after asking for it.

Drift wood can stain water from black to a light tea color "tannins" it also will cause your Ph to swing a little keeping up water changes will keep this from being a huge swing. Hopefully you gave these guys filters lights and heaters.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 10:59 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrol View Post
Don't understand why people even try and help this guy anymore. He's ultimately going to do what ever he suggested in the first place more often then not goes against basic fish keeping then ignores all other advise after asking for it.
That's pretty much the same conclusion I reached awhile back. I stopped trying to help since it became clear any help offered was only falling on deaf ears.

It seems the posts are not truly a request for help, but more a cry for attention.

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -

29g -
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't mean to upset y'all... Really. I just came from saltwater where I spent at least $5,000 on three tanks over the years. $200 pairs of designer clownfish, $150 anemones, $20 1/2" acro frags... I realized how much money I spent that I didn't need to. I'm having issues with money right now, which is why I got out of that hobby and took up this one. I know somebody who kept a goldfish alive in a small fishbowl with no lights, no pumps, ect for seven years. Like, I definitely wouldn't do that because I want a nice tank, but I do cut corners, hence not cycling the tank. When I was 7 or 8, I had a tank full of guppies and I would take everything out of the tank, wash the gravels and plants, then set the tank back up once I cleaned it with BLEACH and then I put water conditioner in there and stuck the fish back in with absolutely no losses, and I didn't do water changes EVER, I never acclimated fish, I overfed, ect... Everything went fine. Now I have a better idea of what I'm doing. At least I didn't stick these guys in a 8" tall tub of water outside with JUST water in it in freezing temperatures with no heaters/pumps/ect. I have them in a $500 tank with a 150w halide, a 350gph pump overkill for FW, blah blah. Yes I used play sand, but it worked. No, I didn't let the tank cycle, but I figured out how to keep the fish safe from ammonia by using AmQuel LIKE WAS SUGGESTED. I do take your suggestions.

To be honest (and I think I've said this before), even if I bought a test kit, I wouldn't have time to do tests, nor would I want to. I'm busy with school, one of the hardest schools in my state, and I have tons of other activities I have to do. I bought one of those master test kits for my SW (and they sucked BTW, not sure about how the FW one is... I had to get a test kit that was $30 per kit [one thing testing, no multiples] DX) so I know they are like $30 for the thing, which isn't too bad, but it is $30 I rather spend on plants. Just give me time to let me prove myself. If all of my stuff dies, then you can say you were right and I was wrong.

I'm not trying to be difficult, and though I may come across as rude or not comprehensive at times, I am making an effort at this hobby. I just don't want to throw all of my money into it right now. As I said, I don't have too much, so I'm doing what I can.

Sorry if I'm coming across the wrong way. I don't mean to be rude or not acknowledge your advice, I appreciate it greatly.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 02:48 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Perhaps you do indeed mean well, but you're wanting to cut corners in areas that don't make sense (at least not to me). The basics are the foundation of your tank, most especially water parameters.

One test kit is all you need for all the tests you could possibly need. You should be able to use it on future tanks, as well. It will save its cost in the long run by saving fish, plants and inverts. You're spending how much on treating the water every day?

I think part of the problem is that your stated goal and the way you're going about it is contradictory. So things just don't add up. They don't make sense.

You can get the test kit for $16.47 with free shipping here: http://www.amazon.com/API-FRESHWATER...aster+test+kit. it gives you over 800 tests. That's the same price is buying a 16oz bottle of Amquel Plus: http://www.amazon.com/Kordon-Amquel-...ds=amquel+plus. If you're using it every day, can you really say you're saving money?

So you spent $30 on a one time saltwater kit that sucked and thought that was what the freshwater kit was without checking it out? In reality, it's half that price for 800+ tests and, as you can see by the ratings form Amazon, it does not suck.

What this tells me is that you either aren't listening and are just making wild assumptions or you really don't care. You clearly did not look up the information on the freshwater test kit or you would have known it was vastly different from what you posted about the saltwater kit.

So you say you want to save money, but yet you do things that are actually more costly. You say you're listening, but you make statements that indicate quite clearly that you have no idea what's being talked about. And then you want us to believe you're taking our suggestions seriously? Seems more like you're only taking the suggestions that you want to hear and tossing anything you don't want to hear. That's okay if that's what you want to do, but at least own up to it.

90g -

29g -
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
Perhaps you do indeed mean well, but you're wanting to cut corners in areas that don't make sense (at least not to me). The basics are the foundation of your tank, most especially water parameters.

One test kit is all you need for all the tests you could possibly need. You should be able to use it on future tanks, as well. It will save its cost in the long run by saving fish, plants and inverts. You're spending how much on treating the water every day?

I think part of the problem is that your stated goal and the way you're going about it is contradictory. So things just don't add up. They don't make sense.

You can get the test kit for $16.47 with free shipping here: http://www.amazon.com/API-FRESHWATER...aster+test+kit. it gives you over 800 tests. That's the same price is buying a 16oz bottle of Amquel Plus: http://www.amazon.com/Kordon-Amquel-...ds=amquel+plus. If you're using it every day, can you really say you're saving money?

So you spent $30 on a one time saltwater kit that sucked and thought that was what the freshwater kit was without checking it out? In reality, it's half that price for 800+ tests and, as you can see by the ratings form Amazon, it does not suck.

What this tells me is that you either aren't listening and are just making wild assumptions or you really don't care. You clearly did not look up the information on the freshwater test kit or you would have known it was vastly different from what you posted about the saltwater kit.

So you say you want to save money, but yet you do things that are actually more costly. You say you're listening, but you make statements that indicate quite clearly that you have no idea what's being talked about. And then you want us to believe you're taking our suggestions seriously? Seems more like you're only taking the suggestions that you want to hear and tossing anything you don't want to hear. That's okay if that's what you want to do, but at least own up to it.
I never tested my tank before when I was like 7 or 8, so I don't think its necessary, especially if I keep up with weekly, or even more frequent, water changes. Honestly, if all I am keeping are GUPPIES (which you can't kill even if you wanted to) and plants (I have a 150w halide and super high flow that they should love) I don't see why I Need to test.

I will check around the stores out here to see if I can find the FW test kit and see how much it is. If I keep up with weekly water changes, I don't think I'll need to dose AmQuel. The only thing I can do to get rid of ammonia is do water changes, and if I'm doing that, then what else can I do?
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 03:53 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy View Post
I never tested my tank before when I was like 7 or 8, so I don't think its necessary...
I suppose not if you don't want to learn anything beyond what you knew at the age of 7 or 8. Or maybe you knew all there was to know at that age?

The rest of your comments only reinforced what was already being said. It doesn't matter what information you are given, your mind is already made up.

You don't think you need to dose Amquel if you do weekly water changes, but you've never tested the water to find out for sure. Without testing the water, you have no knowledge of how high and how fast nitrites can spike during a cycle. And you don't need to test the water because you believe guppies can't be killed. Okay.

I think you nailed it pretty good. It's basically the logic of a 7 or 8 year old.

90g -

29g -
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode