Keeping fish tanks in areas with water limits - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Keeping fish tanks in areas with water limits

I might be moving to Texas in a year or so. Upon research on the area where we are planning on moving, Midland area, I have found that they at some times have water restrictions. Now I am thinking about all the water I use and I am starting to get worried. I do a 50% water change on a 29 gallon and a 40 gallon once a week. I do a 10% water change on a 150 gallon stock tank once a week. I do a 10% water change on a 36 gallon reef tank once a week. And on top of all that I use my RO/DI system to make half of this water. I also use all RO for top offs. That is quite a bit of water to use in an area that has a drought going on.

I think I will have to get a water saving RO/DI system. And I am going to try to recycle most of the water I use.

Does anybody else live in the Midland Texas area and keeps fish tank?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 02:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
If you research the amount of water used to shower, flush a toilet and do a load of laundry I think you will find you are within acceptable usage levels.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
As a new guy to living in Texas, I can tell you a few things about the state. It is totally whacked out when it comes to water conservation!!!

There are great concerns about running out of water. But does that turn into any great plans to save water? Not really. They have water restrictions but do little to help. You may be prohibited from watering the grass but at the same time if you live in an apartment, your lease may require you to run the water on cold days because you are liable for any damage from frozen pipes. About half the University of Texas leaves their faucets running during the Christmas break when they go home and it might get cold.

For some odd reason the lakes don't refill during the winter. Wonder if there might be some better way? Like maybe INSULATE the pipes? No! This is a "business friendly" state.

For practical purposes, I have never seen any restrictions on water used inside the house or from a hand held hose. Refilling the pool may be out but not fish tanks.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Get some rain barrels and make all your water change water during times when their are no restrictions and store it.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 04:34 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
Get some rain barrels and make all your water change water during times when their are no restrictions and store it.
+1 this is what I do and having +200 gallons of rainwater available is great
For my humblle fishroom
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 04:38 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
I live in Midland. We do have water restrictions. 10,000 gallons a month, if you go over you get charged $$$$. This is manageable, though, and mainly affects watering lawns and filling pools. You will definitely need a very substantial RO system if you are planning on keeping anything aside from Rift lake cichlids -- we have some of the hardest water in the country. Makes LA look like spring water.

And rain barrels won't help. We don't get rain.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
...And rain barrels won't help. We don't get rain.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (28/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
And rain barrels won't help. We don't get rain.
The truest thing I have heard today... I live a little west of Fort Worth, and we do not have restrictions on indoor water as far as I know, but you are not allowed to water your lawn when it is dry. Of course I have special conditions and don't have to worry about that so I can't be of much help there...

Also, GeToChKn meant fill up the barrels with water from the hose when there aren't restrictions and then store it for later, not to use rainwater.

RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 05:54 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

Ah, I didn't understand that part. The only thing they care about is if you are not watering on the day you are supposed to. They don't monitor indoor activity aside from your overall bill.

It's a nice town, cost of living is high and you sure won't be in Kansas anymore. I was born and raised here. This is a very good opportunity for you to get into rift lake cichlids though. If I had the room, I'd be back into those in a heartbeat. Here is our more recent water quality report.

http://www.midlandtexas.gov/departme...terRpt2010.pdf

451ppm Ca/Mg
1990ppm TDS
1250ppm CaCO3

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
I have quite a few tanks and I think we use more water to make coffee than for water changes.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 06:50 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

You are doing 200 gallons a month or so in water changes. For lack of a better pun, that's a drop in the bucket for your total allowance. Also, this is the only year we have had water restrictions. Next year we are going to have additional sources of water, so the penalties for over usage will likely go away, or only be implemented for gross over usage.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Restrictions are mainly for watering grass and that type of thing. Think about how much water a shower takes or the washing machine.

-Mike
Mini-M Journal:

Mini-M Journal 2:
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I really don't want to move to texas. It sounds pretty much like a dusty wasteland with no water. The only reason I am moving there is because my mom is and being 17, I am not ready to 3 states away on my own yet. I don't see myself being on my own for at least a few more years because I have no idea what I am going to do about schooling yet.

|
|
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Yeah I asked my soon to be step dad who lives in midland what the rainfall is like and he said something like 4-5 inches a year. We get that much in one big rain here!!!

|
|
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 01:35 AM
Surrounded by Blyxa

Nothing wrong with west texas. Go work in the oil field and make a lot of money until you figure out what you want to do.

Tags
drought, moving, texas, water

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode