Plantin ADA Aquasoil. HOW I LOVE YOU! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Plantin ADA Aquasoil. HOW I LOVE YOU!

I felt this needed to be in the general discussion thread because MANY MANY people need to see this.
Over the past year i've heard horrible stories about planting in aquasoil and how hard it can be with it being small pebbles and it takes forever.

I, hereby dispute that claim!

had my aquasoil sitting in water for a day, got the filter all running again and started planting. what used to take 1.5 - 3 hours for an entire rescape with flourite, took a measl 20 minutes. 95% of m plants stuck in on the first try. there were only 3 plants that took more than 2 tries as well.

How i love you aquasoil

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool! I need to try aquasoil. I never have. It is just very pricey. I thought eco-complete was expensive!

|
|
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

shipping it was actually my biggest complaint as far as price. i've paid 27 dollars a bag of flourite before so im used to that kind of deal.
it also went a lot farther than i projected. 9 litres worth is a lot more than 30lb bag of flourite. i used 1.5 bags were previously i used 2 bags of flourite

i have enough left over to do me a little bonsai

Sump Pimp #7

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 07:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I can't wait to re-scape with aquasoil. Just watch the ADA view videos and you can see how easily it is to plant in. I know those guys are pro's but still...

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 10:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I had a hell of a time getting blyxa to stay down but I don't have a good pair tweezers either.

-Mike
Mini-M Journal:

Mini-M Journal 2:
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 10:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
Blyxa is pretty hard to plant as its super buoyant...

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 12:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
I felt this needed to be in the general discussion thread because MANY MANY people need to see this.
Over the past year i've heard horrible stories about planting in aquasoil and how hard it can be with it being small pebbles and it takes forever.

I, hereby dispute that claim!

had my aquasoil sitting in water for a day, got the filter all running again and started planting. what used to take 1.5 - 3 hours for an entire rescape with flourite, took a measl 20 minutes. 95% of m plants stuck in on the first try. there were only 3 plants that took more than 2 tries as well.

How i love you aquasoil
I think that is the biggest thing that helped you, if you try to plant right after you fill there is still a ton of air that is trapped in the soil which makes it much harder, after it is fully saturated with water it is very easy.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

It was still full of bubbles. I thought there was a secret airstone under the soil...

Tweezers. Yeah i modified mine. I copied ada. Bought some off e-bay and sanded the ends down to slender pincettes. Those helped with flourite but tha soil was still way easier. Even blyxa wasnt bad. Ive since learned its secret though

Sump Pimp #7

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 03:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
shipping it was actually my biggest complaint as far as price. i've paid 27 dollars a bag of flourite before so im used to that kind of deal.
it also went a lot farther than i projected. 9 litres worth is a lot more than 30lb bag of flourite. i used 1.5 bags were previously i used 2 bags of flourite

i have enough left over to do me a little bonsai
Well that's good to know. Basically 1 bag of AS>2 bags of flourite. I was targeting flourite again for my next build but excluding shipping, aquasoil is cheaper and you get more lb for lb vs flourite. I remember a post not to long ago someone argued with me on the price of AS. If you shop around you can find some reasonable prices.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 06:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Compared to SMS? ADA AS is VERY easy.

It did take me some getting use to, and initially I gave it away because it looked like it would fall apart, did not like the powersand etc layering.

But once I got over that, it's great.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Compared to SMS? ADA AS is VERY easy.

It did take me some getting use to, and initially I gave it away because it looked like it would fall apart, did not like the powersand etc layering.

But once I got over that, it's great.
Do you do the powersand? I did not use any.

Sump Pimp #7

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode