Brazilian Pennywort won't stop melting! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Brazilian Pennywort won't stop melting!

Hey folks,

I purchased some Brazilian pennywort from LFS about a while back ago. At first, their leaves started melting and I thought it was just normal transplant shock; they will grow back fine.

When I checked them out today, I noticed that even their stems are melting! I honestly don't understand what I am doing wrong.

I have a 20L tank that's 12 inches tall with 2 inch deep substrate. I dose root tabs, flourish excel and flourish comprehensive. All dosing as recommended.

I have dual T5NO 36W rated at 6700K, on for approximately 9 hours a day. I have plenty of other plants in the tank: rotala, banana plant, dwarf lily, windelov fern, java moss, cryps, HC, scarlet temple, cardinal plant, water wisteria, ludwigia, etc, and all my other plants are growing just fine.

What's going on with my pennywort?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Pennywort is a glutton. MORE FOOOOOD! It loves nitrate and if it has kinked roots then increasing phosphate helps. Try more of the comprehensive, start with double the suggested dose, to see if it perks up. That stuff is fine but not a good source of NPK.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 11:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

My pennywort is always covered in random algae and dark stuff. Im not a big fan. Dominates a tank.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Planted Member

Sorry to hear it. My Pennywort is one my favorite plants and it grows like a weed.

I wish I new what to tell you other then for some reason, some plants just don't seem to work for some folks.

For example, I tried to grow Algeria Densa. It is said the stuff will take over any tank and needs trimmed constantly. It can be put in substrate or left to float. Great - a bought some and nothing! Died every which way. I floated it, planted it, wrapped around a rock, in the shade, in the direct light, etc. Yet, all of my other plants were flourishing. Go figure.

*60g
*Substrate = 50% Florite sand 50% regular Florite
*Lighting 108W of a 216W T5HO Aquatic Life hood 25" from substrate 8.5 hours daily.
*Amarath Redroot, Waterhyssop, Brazilian Pennywort, Water Wisteria, Jungle Val, Moss Ball, Riccia, Nana, Java Lace, Cryptocoryne, Pigmy Chain Sword.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 01:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Pennywort dominates my tank too and my tank is 8' long. I like it fine, the growth pattern really appeals to me and apparently it likes the situation fine as it grows very well with big clean leaves and lots of nice roots. I have brought it back from short bare stems which was very gratifying.

If you don't like a plant get rid of it. Life is too short to be annoyed by something like that. Work with plants that do well for you whatever they may be. I have tried and discarded plenty of plants other people love.

River Bank

MOP* Nano

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode