Dirty, smelly, infested tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dirty, smelly, infested tank

Hello,

even though I have put my heart and soul in this tank, sometimes things are going well but now they are going bad.

Just a quick summary: 70L, Eleocharis Parvulus, clay based substrate, 24W T5HO 7.5 hours a day, no fish, fluval external filter 1000 L/h, EI dosing regime which I know doubled the daily dosing amount to increase rate of plant growth, 1 weekly water change more than 60%, pressurized co2 system that is a bit unstable so I am changing it, 15ml Excel dosing daily. Eleocharis Parvula is spreading slowly but steadily and only algae problem left is green dust algae. Did I miss anything?

My current observations are what lead to this post:
1. No fauna thus no feeding at all but present are many small snails...shouldn't they have starved to death by now?
2. My tank does not have an earthly/healthy smell by all means. It ricks of fish smell something that gives out something is wrong.
3. I see many small squiggly creatures running up and down my tank glass.
4. Lots and lots of mulm on the aquarium gravel no matter how much I remove.
5. Green dust algae. I left it alone just like Tom Barr suggested.
6. I have spotted some cyanobacteria, removed it immediately. This blue green algae showed up the weekend I was away and didn't dose Excel or macros/micros so I guess that if the tank is left alone for a couple of days and starts to show signs of algae, then this is a ticking time-bomb that I am keeping at bay with all my efforts.

Any thoughts on how to overcome all of the above?

Thanks people...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
if u have pressurized c02. just up ur c02. stop dosing excel. its a disinfectant. it affects bacteria in the tank
cyanobacteria is a sign of poor biological filtration. increase oxygen levels by adding surface agitation..
the mulm buildup is also a good sign of poor filtration. it will happen over time, period, but the fact that u can't get rid of it is a clear sign
clean ur filter a couple times over the next few weeks by rinsing in drained tank water

and again add surface agitation.. u need more oxygen to help support healthy bacerial growth

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
How old is your tank? Did you recently added driftwood?

Try vacuum deep into your substrate.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
How old is your tank? Did you recently added driftwood?

Try vacuum deep into your substrate.
Its about a year old.

There is no driftwood in the tank.

I can't vacuum the substrate since it is partly planted with Eleocharis Parvula.

Thanks
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The squiggly critters are likely copepods which aren't a bad thing, sign of a healthy system and they make for free fish food when you add them.

The smell thing could be related to a protein film on the surface, usually not a pleasant smell. Do you notice a film on the surface? If so, Increasing surface agitation will help that. Increasing flow helps against BGA and mulm build up.

Just some thoughts, take them with a grain of salt, I'm no guru by any means.....just trying to convey some helpful ideas

/
/
/ 12g rimless - not yet started / Cannon Pimp Club #009 -T3i
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Since I have no fauna, I have blasted the CO2 to very high levels. This has killed off several snails but also ensures better plant growth.

Today I will perform a midweek water change of over 60% and clean my filter.

I have now decreased Excel dosing from 15ml to 10ml a day.

I am now concerned water flow is inadequate even though filter power is very good. My drop checker colour which is at the bottom of the tank on the opposite corner of the filter INPUT has a colour yellow so CO2 is more than enough at gravel level. How would I better my circulation to avoid mulm?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 05:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
if there's algae, that's why the snails haven't starved...
they can probably eat copepods too.

EDIT: 600TH POST!!!!!!!1!!!
(had to, sorry)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I will win this battle!!!!

Since I will do a large water change today and since I am dosing EI, I was thinking of doing the water change at night when lights are off, add macros and then add micros in the morning before lights on. So when lights are on both micros and macros will be present. I should see good growth the next couple of days, I am confident due to the CO2 increase!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode