Dirty, smelly, infested tank
even though I have put my heart and soul in this tank, sometimes things are going well but now they are going bad.
Just a quick summary: 70L, Eleocharis Parvulus, clay based substrate, 24W T5HO 7.5 hours a day, no fish, fluval external filter 1000 L/h, EI dosing regime which I know doubled the daily dosing amount to increase rate of plant growth, 1 weekly water change more than 60%, pressurized co2 system that is a bit unstable so I am changing it, 15ml Excel dosing daily. Eleocharis Parvula is spreading slowly but steadily and only algae problem left is green dust algae. Did I miss anything?
My current observations are what lead to this post:
1. No fauna thus no feeding at all but present are many small snails...shouldn't they have starved to death by now?
2. My tank does not have an earthly/healthy smell by all means. It ricks of fish smell something that gives out something is wrong.
3. I see many small squiggly creatures running up and down my tank glass.
4. Lots and lots of mulm on the aquarium gravel no matter how much I remove.
5. Green dust algae. I left it alone just like Tom Barr suggested.
6. I have spotted some cyanobacteria, removed it immediately. This blue green algae showed up the weekend I was away and didn't dose Excel or macros/micros so I guess that if the tank is left alone for a couple of days and starts to show signs of algae, then this is a ticking time-bomb that I am keeping at bay with all my efforts.
Any thoughts on how to overcome all of the above?