Algae issue - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Algae issue

Hello everyone. Im new to the board. I have been lurking for quite sometime but i'm in need of assistance and I was hoping I could get some help. I have had aquariums my whole llife, but over the past few months I decided to try my hand with a planted aquarium. Considering I have a pretty good green thumb, I figured how difficult could growing some plants in an aquarium be... Famous last words I guess. Heres a quick snap shot of my current set up.
  • 29 gal tank.
  • Ehiem 2213
  • 76 degrees
  • twin T5 HO 24 watt 6700k bulbs.
  • DIY Co2
Forgive me but I don't know all of the plant names in the tank, butI have about 65% of the tank planted. Crypt,Java fern,java moss,foxtails,annubas. about 12-15 plants in total. I currently have 3 Tiger Barbs and 2 Black Tiger barbs as well. I had 2 3 inch gold fish in the tank which were removed 2 days ago and relocated into the pond.
Ok, so up until 2 weeks ago, I had zero issues with everything. PH was a steady 7,ammonia was 0 and nitrates were under fluctuated between 0 and 20 but never higher. My light was set to run 12 hrs daily. I figured i was at about 2 wpg so the 12 hrs was not an issue. I did a 25-30% water change like I do every week or so and when i woke up the next morning, the tank had a darkened hue to it. The water looked like a dirty martini almost olive like water color. I did another water change and if anything, it looked like it was getting worst as the days went on. I tried the Excel thing and it didnt do anything. I was dosing the tank with Kent Plant Pro and also using the Kent Iron and Maganese product but I figured this was contributing to the problem so I have not added any in the past week or so thinking it was a contributing factor. So I did some research and it seemed as if you can elevate your CO2 in the tank it would help out in getting rid of the algae by turbo charging the plant uptake. My plan was to also cut my light time by 25% every few days until the water no longer had that olive ting to it.
Ok, so I have the ferts, the light, the DIY CO2 and I still have the algae... Someone please tell me what I am over looking. Its driving me nuts! And if the olive water wasnt maddening enough, the co2 dumped my ph a full point from 7 to 6. Is this normal? It could be lower, but my API kit stops at 6. I put the airstone back on hoping to control the PH, but I am assuming it is going to negate the additional CO2 from the tank. I set it up co2 yesterday afternoon and I'm getting a bubble a sec. I'm using the gravel vac tube off of the return nozzle of the Ehiem as a reactor. Can I add a small amount of crushed coral to the tank to buffer the CO2? It looks like things are starting to compound here and before I do anymore rookie moves I'd figure I'd ask around. Sorry to ramble. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 04:09 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael2364 View Post
Hello everyone. Im new to the board. I have been lurking for quite sometime but i'm in need of assistance and I was hoping I could get some help. I have had aquariums my whole llife, but over the past few months I decided to try my hand with a planted aquarium. Considering I have a pretty good green thumb, I figured how difficult could growing some plants in an aquarium be... Famous last words I guess. Heres a quick snap shot of my current set up.
  • 29 gal tank.
  • Ehiem 2213
  • 76 degrees
  • twin T5 HO 24 watt 6700k bulbs.
  • DIY Co2
Forgive me but I don't know all of the plant names in the tank, butI have about 65% of the tank planted. Crypt,Java fern,java moss,foxtails,annubas. about 12-15 plants in total. I currently have 3 Tiger Barbs and 2 Black Tiger barbs as well. I had 2 3 inch gold fish in the tank which were removed 2 days ago and relocated into the pond.
Ok, so up until 2 weeks ago, I had zero issues with everything. PH was a steady 7,ammonia was 0 and nitrates were under fluctuated between 0 and 20 but never higher. My light was set to run 12 hrs daily. I figured i was at about 2 wpg so the 12 hrs was not an issue. I did a 25-30% water change like I do every week or so and when i woke up the next morning, the tank had a darkened hue to it. The water looked like a dirty martini almost olive like water color. I did another water change and if anything, it looked like it was getting worst as the days went on. I tried the Excel thing and it didnt do anything. I was dosing the tank with Kent Plant Pro and also using the Kent Iron and Maganese product but I figured this was contributing to the problem so I have not added any in the past week or so thinking it was a contributing factor. So I did some research and it seemed as if you can elevate your CO2 in the tank it would help out in getting rid of the algae by turbo charging the plant uptake. My plan was to also cut my light time by 25% every few days until the water no longer had that olive ting to it.
Ok, so I have the ferts, the light, the DIY CO2 and I still have the algae... Someone please tell me what I am over looking. Its driving me nuts! And if the olive water wasnt maddening enough, the co2 dumped my ph a full point from 7 to 6. Is this normal? It could be lower, but my API kit stops at 6. I put the airstone back on hoping to control the PH, but I am assuming it is going to negate the additional CO2 from the tank. I set it up co2 yesterday afternoon and I'm getting a bubble a sec. I'm using the gravel vac tube off of the return nozzle of the Ehiem as a reactor. Can I add a small amount of crushed coral to the tank to buffer the CO2? It looks like things are starting to compound here and before I do anymore rookie moves I'd figure I'd ask around. Sorry to ramble. Thanks in advance.
You may also want to raise your fixture up a little bit. a 29 gallon is 18 inches tall. Assuming you have around 1.5-2 inches of substrate that gives you a little bit too much light, imo.

WPG is pretty outdated, a dual T5HO on a 29 gallon would give way too much light. Check this thread out:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...t5-t12-pc.html
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 04:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If you raise that light fixture to about 30 inches above the substrate you will reduce the light intensity enough to avoid most algae problems. I'm assuming you have a good quality light fixture and not an inexpensive one, especially not the FishNeed It one. Some of the cheaper lights will have poor enough reflectors that they won't need to be raised as much.

Hoppy

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2012, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

My bulbs are about 4 inches above the top of the tank, and my gravel is a mixed pea stones. From the surface of the gravel to the bulbs is currently 18 inches. Your saying I should raise the light another 10 inches? Can I only use 1 bulb for the time being and see if that improves things?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode