Ethics Of Collecting From Nature - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Ethics Of Collecting From Nature

So i've been thinking about setting up my 55gal with only plants collected from Texas Rivers and lakes. and stocking it with fish that i catch from these places(perch and sunfish etc, no bass or catfish).

State parks in texas do not allow removal of plants and rocks. but you can go fishing and take fish home as long as they are in the bag limits, perch and sunfish being unlimited in size and amounts. i don't think it would be wrong to catch the fish, and instead of killing an eating them, raising them in my tank. i don't see anything wrong with that?

the plants and rocks is where i see more ethical issues. if collect a small # of plants from a well planted area, only removing a few from the edges, or maybe just taking a clipping from plants would be better? (of course this would not be in state park boundries)

and then the rocks. the severe drought we have been in for the last 10 or so years has created a few islands of river rock, and nearly killed a few lakes. i was thinking of taking a few pounds from these islands, to help seed the tank with bacteria the fish are used to.

speaking of bacteria i just had another thought, is it wrong to take river water to seed the tank? i'm thinking just 10 gallons or so.

i don't think i've missed anything..

Will

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

on Facebook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 08:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think if you collect just a few plants it should be fine. As long as its not a reserve, that is. If you take maybe ten out of ten thousand plants, it won't disrupt the environment lol.

The issue is introducing pests, bacteria, diseases, ect. into your tank. So you probably don't want to collect wild stuff, unless its a wild-only tank.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
collect wild stuff
soak it in salt water for a few minutes. most freshwater diseases or pests don't like high salt content, and plants wont shrivel and die in that short time

Sump Pimp #7

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
Personally, I wouldn't take river/pond water to seed a tank because you never know what's in there. Once whatever is in there spreads and it's not a good thing, I don't see a way of getting it out other than nuking the entire tank and restarting. I'd go with taking large rocks or driftwood, that's about it. Fish and plants only if you know what you're doing.

"Space and light and order. Those are the things that men need just as much as they need bread or a place to sleep."

DECOMMISSIONED

DECOMMISSIONED
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Ethically I agree, Legally NO means NO. Locate some private water to collect from.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
collect wild stuff
soak it in salt water for a few minutes. most freshwater diseases or pests don't like high salt content, and plants wont shrivel and die in that short time
Is this a good practice for all FW plants? I'd like to keep plants I add to my tank pest free. How long should I leave the plants in for? Does it have any effect on the plant whatsoever?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
BTW - Texas has a lot of Invasive Non-Native aquatics that mane be your loop hole if you want to use them instead of natives. Read the statue if you want to consider that as an option.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 08:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Texas has very tough laws in place when it come to Invasive plants.

The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy View Post
Is this a good practice for all FW plants? I'd like to keep plants I add to my tank pest free. How long should I leave the plants in for? Does it have any effect on the plant whatsoever?
a lot of people shoot for a bleach style dip as salt will only kill or stun live snails. mostly stun and are able to be rinsed off
it will no kill snail eggs

if u dont believe it will have snails which is vary rare, then salt is a SAFE alternative for disinfecting

Sump Pimp #7

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
Personally, I wouldn't take river/pond water to seed a tank because you never know what's in there. Once whatever is in there spreads and it's not a good thing, I don't see a way of getting it out other than nuking the entire tank and restarting. I'd go with taking large rocks or driftwood, that's about it. Fish and plants only if you know what you're doing.
but if the whole tank is nothing but stuff collected from that water the what would the worry be? wouldn't they naturally have to deal with whatever it would be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Ethically I agree, Legally NO means NO. Locate some private water to collect from.
oh yeah, thats why i said it wouldn't be from state protected land. i will have to do some research to see what waters are okay to collect from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
BTW - Texas has a lot of Invasive Non-Native aquatics that mane be your loop hole if you want to use them instead of natives. Read the statue if you want to consider that as an option.
I would prefer native but my goal is really to be able have a tank that looks like i cut section out of the river, or lake and put it in my tank.

Will

on Facebook.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
collect wild stuff

would you recommend this over using a QT?

Will

on Facebook.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic Delight View Post
would you recommend this over using a QT?
i've so far never had an issue with that method..

and a qt tank will still house whatever is on there in its dormant state if it has one until u put it into ur aquarium with fishies
it still has to be treated with something

Sump Pimp #7

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
i've so far never had an issue with that method..

and a qt tank will still house whatever is on there in its dormant state if it has one until u put it into ur aquarium with fishies
it still has to be treated with something

fair enough. i have a couple 10gals i am planning to tear down...maybe i'll keep one up until until i get the 55 set up, then tear down

Will

on Facebook.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Call your local wild life enforcement and explain what your wanting to do... I would not be surprised if they said OK.

Just don't give any personal details like name etc in case they say no

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
You can often find what you are after right outside the parks.

Aquatic plants flow downstream.

NEVER collect inside any State or National park.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode