39gal Tall....oh the possibilities! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
39gal Tall....oh the possibilities!

so on a whim i picked up a 39g tall the other day, thinking i can do something cool with it. its pretty nifty looking, its like a verical rectangle, 17in Length and width on the base, and a little over 2ft tall.

i thought about doing a dirt tank with it, or maybe moving my electric blue cray in to it and building him a tall rock pile with a cave inside. i thought about getting a cool schooling fish to put in it, or maybe just one really cool fish to go in it. or i thought about a riparium (i pretty much vetoed that idea cus i wouldn't know where to start.

so what do you guys think, make a cray tank? a schooling tank, i really am unsure what to do.

as a side note are there any fish that would enjoy a tall tank like that?

Will

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

on Facebook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Properly lighting a tank like this will be very tough. What are you planning on growing?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Perhaps a riparium... as a regular tank, it wouldn't be that great for shoaling fish as horizontally there isn't much room to swim. I don't know of fish that like the go up and down vertically - most just like to stay near the top, mid, or bottom and swim horizontally which this tank doesn't have a lot of. Shrimps do go everywhere so that might be a good option.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 12:56 AM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
I think you should do the tall rock pile for your cray! that would be awesome.

40B - Shrimp tank

~~~
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

so i did the calculations and the lady i bought it from lied to me, its actually a 31gal? or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyFish View Post
Properly lighting a tank like this will be very tough. What are you planning on growing?
i'm planning on using local plants from the guadalupe river, and maybe the comal, or canyon lake. as for the lighting i'm thinking about buying a couple clip on lights to get light to the bottom. the tank is on stand that is larger than the base so i think it could work nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusiongt View Post
Perhaps a riparium... as a regular tank, it wouldn't be that great for shoaling fish as horizontally there isn't much room to swim. I don't know of fish that like the go up and down vertically - most just like to stay near the top, mid, or bottom and swim horizontally which this tank doesn't have a lot of. Shrimps do go everywhere so that might be a good option.
idk if i want a riparium i haven't really been able to find a good guide. and it seems like a lot more work than i want to do. i think the tank is tall enough i could do a top water school, and bottom water school? or of course my giant rock pile for the cray :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyTR View Post
I think you should do the tall rock pile for your cray! that would be awesome.
thats my fav idea, i'm just not good at stacking rocks...(saying that makes me feel "special") i'm thinking i could still get away with fish in the tank, at the surface, and maybe mid water, without the cray eating them.

also i'm not exactly sure, how to build a cave in the rock pile. it seems like it should be very simple....

Will

on Facebook.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Banned

I would stack in a pyramid fashion but in like a circle.. so I guess a cone? I hope I'm getting across what I mean lol

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

40B - Shrimp tank

~~~
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

so a cylinder? with cone on top?

my issue is i'm having trouble visualizing how i would make the cave, i would love to have the cave off the ground so he has to climb up the rock pile a little....you know?

Will

on Facebook.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 07:33 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
i'm just not good at stacking rocks
Maybe get some masonry cement and "cheat." Using that to join the rocks should make it much more stable, plus it could help you make the cave as well. Just me 2 cents.

Also as far as designing the cave, you could always just make it more of a recessed ledge rather than a round deep cave. That shouldnt be too hard to place anywhere along your rock outcropping.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82nd_Airborne View Post
Maybe get some masonry cement and "cheat." Using that to join the rocks should make it much more stable, plus it could help you make the cave as well. Just me 2 cents.

Also as far as designing the cave, you could always just make it more of a recessed ledge rather than a round deep cave. That shouldnt be too hard to place anywhere along your rock outcropping.

thats not a bad idea the cement....i guess it would keep me from rescaping all the time lol.

i'm not sure how you mean with the recessed ledge though

Will

on Facebook.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

heres my cray BTW

Will

on Facebook.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Basically something like this is what I had in mind. Something where he could crawl up under but not your typical cave.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

thats not a bad idea. i think that i could do it with out cementing it all together.

Will

on Facebook.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 12:43 AM
Banned

lol i guess i did a bad job at explaining

think about cheerleaders (easy right oloolol) and how they stack on each other to make a giant triangle of hot girl yummyness.... <_< but instead of hot chicks you stack rocks like that instead but in a circular fashion until you end up with one rock on the very tippy top!

40B - Shrimp tank

~~~
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 12:53 AM
Banned

Each color represents each layer of rocks.

It would be one big cave with plenty of crevices for him to crawl in and out of. Plus I've never seen something done like this before.

40B - Shrimp tank

~~~
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm just a very visual person( probably why I like being a chef). The picture helps a lot. I want to build it up several inches above the gravel, so I'm think I would just pile a bunch of squareish rocks to simplify the base. Would it look okay with square rocks as the base and round rocks on top?

So upon filling the tank today it only too approximately 24 gallons to fill 4 inches from the top with 1 1/2 inch gravel. I think its maybe a 29tall at best....lying woman.

I also got some very thick stemmed plants in hope that the cray won't up root them

Will

on Facebook.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode