H.O.T Magnum 250 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
H.O.T Magnum 250

I just picked up one of these and its my first attempt with a canister filter. Any one have anything good or bad to say about this?

My only concern is I never used a carbon based filter and dont know what to expect and the other thing is that the output tube seems short and barely goes below the surface.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 03:38 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
hello this is one of the 3 filters running on my 55 gal dirted tank if you have a planted tank i suggest you use only the white little filter cylinder that it comes with it clears up the water very fast.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 03:46 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
I use these on all of my 29g tanks. They are excellent filters. I use carbon in the basket with the sponge and only replace the carbon once a year(used as a bio filter). I also shoot Co2 through them at a pretty good rate without any problems. The output is somewhat short but as long as you are keeping your tank topped up weekly they run fine. Its actually a benefit as it breaks surface tension and helps prevent protein buildup. I am looking to set up another rack of 29g tanks and will definitely use these filters again. Especially for the price. The only problems that ive had is with the O rings leaking some air because I didnt seat them properly. After I lubed them up with Vaseline they have run fine ever since. If you need some proof, take a look through my journal linked to the bottom of this comment.

My 65g jungle October rain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode