Fish room questions..... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fish room questions.....

I have been daydreaming lately about having a fish room. I don't know if everything a dream about will actually happen but anything is possible.

I would like to setup a room that could, after time, help fund some of my fish tank purchases. I am wanting to setup emersed plant setups, shrimp tanks, fish breeding tanks, and maybe some aquaponic setups.

Substrate?

For overall ease of maintenance, would regular aquarium gravel be recommended? I think regular gravel would be nice just because you can vacuum it easier than sand. In planted tanks I would use pool filter sand, black diamond with top soil underneath.

Filtration?

I could see having a sump would be the most efficient but different things need different parameters so that would probably not work. The most cost effective way to filter a lot of tanks would probably be sponge filters or UGFs. I could also start to collect cheap HOB filters to put on the tanks.

Lighting?

I think shop lights would be the most effective. Some tanks could also use CFL bulbs. When LEDs start to go down in price they will probably be the best bet though.

Heating?

This is where I would guess things would start to get a little bit more expensive. A 10 gallon tank usually needs a 50watt heater. This is also where a sump would come in handy. I could use one or two large heaters. I wonder if I could just acclimate the fish to room temp water. If I could keep a stable temp in the room like 72 degrees I don't think most fish would have a problem. I could just have a few heaters I could move from tank to tank if I wanted to induce breeding.

Feeding?

Variety in food is key to healthy fish so I can't just get bulk flake and think they will be happy. I probably need to have 3 or 4 different kinds of dry foods and a couple different kinds of frozen food. I could also start a wingless fruit fly culture.

Let me know what you think. Any suggestions are highly welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 05:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm on a Gonna-buy-a-huge-house-soon budget right now so pulled heaters off all my tanks and nothing has shown any distress with room temps 20-22C depending on time of day. Guppies, cardinal tetras, orange otos, German blue rams, bunch of Peruvian plecos and more cories than I can count. No deaths no stress for a few months now.

Rest of the setup seems good. Think about maybe a constant drip water change type system plumbed in so you never have to do any water changes, just have all your water run through some carbon filters n whatever else you need to clean out your city water
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I don't think water changes will be a big deal. I worked at an LFS here and I did water changes once a week on 100 tanks.

I do think gravel would make it easier though. I won't have to worry about sucking out sand.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sounds good so far...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 12:29 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
My answers/opinion in red.

I learned to keep fish from cichlid people an they are mostly different then TPT people, again... imo. So sorry if I seem a little blunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefrik View Post
I have been daydreaming lately about having a fish room. I don't know if everything a dream about will actually happen but anything is possible.

I would like to setup a room that could, after time, help fund some of my fish tank purchases. I am wanting to setup emersed plant setups, shrimp tanks, fish breeding tanks, and maybe some aquaponic setups.

Substrate?

For overall ease of maintenance, would regular aquarium gravel be recommended? I think regular gravel would be nice just because you can vacuum it easier than sand. In planted tanks I would use pool filter sand, black diamond with top soil underneath.

I would use sand for your none planted tanks as well. You don't need a thick bed, 1-2inch is fine. Crap sits on top an you can remove it with a nylon tube without taking any sand. Have been doing it for 2yrs now an if any sand does get sucked out you justs dump it back it. Fish seem to like substrate, imo.

Filtration?

I could see having a sump would be the most efficient but different things need different parameters so that would probably not work. The most cost effective way to filter a lot of tanks would probably be sponge filters or UGFs. I could also start to collect cheap HOB filters to put on the tanks.

Most of my tanks in the "mini fish room" are 20L an I use 2 AC50's per tank. They are on sale a lot an you don't have to buy everything at once. Having all your filters use the same media is nice too.

Lighting?

I think shop lights would be the most effective. Some tanks could also use CFL bulbs. When LEDs start to go down in price they will probably be the best bet though.

Most of my tanks are Ceiling light only... which is a shop light style with one of those plastic diffusers that looks like diamonds. I raise cichlid fry so "plants" are "food".

Heating?

This is where I would guess things would start to get a little bit more expensive. A 10 gallon tank usually needs a 50watt heater. This is also where a sump would come in handy. I could use one or two large heaters. I wonder if I could just acclimate the fish to room temp water. If I could keep a stable temp in the room like 72 degrees I don't think most fish would have a problem. I could just have a few heaters I could move from tank to tank if I wanted to induce breeding.

I live in FL an its hotter then hell here. That being said I have ebo jager heaters
in any tank that doesn't have an inline heater. They aren't on that much... mostly at night when the room can drop to 73oF.

Feeding?

Variety in food is key to healthy fish so I can't just get bulk flake and think they will be happy. I probably need to have 3 or 4 different kinds of dry foods and a couple different kinds of frozen food. I could also start a wingless fruit fly culture.

ALL my fish eat NLS Thera-A 1 mm, for 2 weeks after wiggler stage they eat powdered food, then .5 mm NLS grow. My cherry barbs an other planted tank friendly fish eat the .5 grow also. Its probably more protein they should have, but I don't feed very much. I always have gel foods an frozen stuff, but they are more work then I care to put into feeding my mini fish farm

P.S. If anyone wants to feed flakes.... cardboard is cheaper.

Let me know what you think. Any suggestions are highly welcome.
I hope your fish room dream comes true... they are a very calming place to be (when your not doing wc) an my dogs LOVE to chill in there an hide from lighting. They eat jumpers too

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode