Planting New Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planting New Tank

I am going to attempt to grow HC and possibly dwarf hair grass and various mosses in a 30 gallon shrimp tank I am currently working on. I have my pressurized C02 ready My Aquaticlife 78 W t5H0 and eco complete capped with black diamond.

Should I plant the HC dry or should I get my tank cycled and then plant? Also does this set up sound right for HC? Based on the forums it sounds like HC is really difficult to do well.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 03:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I have heard of getting is started dry, but sometimes it objects to later getting submerged. I think I would just go ahead and start with it under water. Sounds like you have plenty of light, and the pressurized CO2 is important.

I would do things in this order:
1) Set up and test the CO2 so you know it will not be variable when you really need it. It may take a few days, perhaps a week to do this, so go ahead and start the fishless cycle.
2) Drain the tank, plant it then fill it back up right away. Continue the fishless cycle, but only allow the ammonia to be about 1 ppm.
3) When the fishless cycle is done, go ahead and stock, but go easy. The reduced level of ammonia during the fishless cycle has grown less bacteria.

Alternate: If you want to skip the fishless cycle you can add any of the bottled cycle products that contain Nitrospiros species of bacteria right before you stock the tank. These are the actual bacteria you need to grow in the tank. Any other product is a waste of money. Wrong bacteria. If you will be stocking it over several weeks or months keep the Nitrospiros in the fridge and add some each time you add fish or shrimp.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
I have heard of getting is started dry, but sometimes it objects to later getting submerged. I think I would just go ahead and start with it under water. Sounds like you have plenty of light, and the pressurized CO2 is important.

I would do things in this order:
1) Set up and test the CO2 so you know it will not be variable when you really need it. It may take a few days, perhaps a week to do this, so go ahead and start the fishless cycle.
2) Drain the tank, plant it then fill it back up right away. Continue the fishless cycle, but only allow the ammonia to be about 1 ppm.
3) When the fishless cycle is done, go ahead and stock, but go easy. The reduced level of ammonia during the fishless cycle has grown less bacteria.

Alternate: If you want to skip the fishless cycle you can add any of the bottled cycle products that contain Nitrospiros species of bacteria right before you stock the tank. These are the actual bacteria you need to grow in the tank. Any other product is a waste of money. Wrong bacteria. If you will be stocking it over several weeks or months keep the Nitrospiros in the fridge and add some each time you add fish or shrimp.
Thanks I think I'll do that. I still need to order my plants so I will get the cycle started in the meantime.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode