Adding flakes to new planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Adding flakes to new planted tank

I always seem to cycle my tank the easy way by seeding.. this time around didnt have that option due to the scape I was creating.

When cycling the tank should I be adding a pinch of fish flakes every few days to kick up the ammonia? Not sure how great the Eco complete's bacteria liquid will work but we'll see.

Or should I just let the plants do their thing.. its a high light, co2 injected, dry fert/excell dosing tank... 5 gals no filter, just plants

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would imagine you need to get the cycle started some how.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:21 PM
ony
Planted Member

You can use liquid ammonia for a more acurate dose: http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules...keywords=cycle

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yea but I don't wanna damage the plants by just throwing liquid ammonia in there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
just dop some flakes in.. wont hurt a thing

Sump Pimp #7

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's what im doing.. What do you think a pinch every few days or so?

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 01:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
I don't usually bother to cycle a heavily planted tank. I get it well established, make sure plants are growing quickly, then add fish cautiously and pay attention to water parameters.

I would not do this in a low light tank, or one not heavily planted with lots of fast growing plants. In those cases, I would rob filter media from a healthy, established tank.

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fish View Post
Yea but I don't wanna damage the plants by just throwing liquid ammonia in there.
you would add a few drops of ammonia (something like1/8 tsp or .6mL) to get to 3ppm (its early without a calculator so you may want to check my math). Whether you add ammonia with rotting food or household ammonia its the same thing. I don't think you plants will suffer from the household ammonia and your tank won't stink, lol!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 03:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Add as much flakes as you will ultimately feed the fish, or add more, up to double that amount.

You can add ammonia directly to the tank, but some plants do not like it, so I would not go higher than about 1 ppm.

Here is the fishless cycle as worked out by a couple of scientists who wanted to grow the maximum bacteria in the shortest time:

First few days: Add ammonia so the test reads 5 ppm. Check daily but you may not need to add much right away.
When the nitrite shows up allow the ammonia to drop to 3 ppm, and maintain it there until the end. You will probably be adding ammonia daily, the bacteria are growing fast and using it up.
If nitrite goes over 5 ppm, do a water change. These bacteria do not do well when the nitrite is too high.
These guys were aiming at the most severe test of a cycled tank: Can you add a full tank load of African Rift Lake Cichlids when the cycle is done? Note that Rift Lake Cichlids are often overstocked and almost never in a planted tank. A fishless cycle done this way is usually done in 3 weeks, and yes, you can overstock the tank even if there are no plants to help with the biofiltration.

Other ways to help the nitrogen cycle:
These bacteria do best when the GH and KH are over about 3 German degrees of hardness. They need a few minerals, they get their carbon from carbonates.
Optimum pH is anywhere in the 7s. They are OK down to about 6.5, but that is not optimum.
High oxygen, so good water movement throughout the tank.

Silent Cycle:
Plant the tank so densely that you cannot see the back of the tank. Take good care of the plants (light, fertilizer, CO2) and you can stock right away. Perhaps not a full fish load until the plants have rooted and are over the transplant shock.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode