Co2 reactor/diffuser? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Co2 reactor/diffuser?

Ok so heres a repetative question, what you guys think is the best co2 diffuser/reactor?? I know I will get a lot of opinions about this but I was thinking about getting a co2 setup from GLA later in the year for a new 75 gal setup Im planning and I want to get a good diffuser or reactor so any thoughts? (dont care if its inline or whatever just needs to be the best)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 01:50 AM
Algae Grower

Personally I would go with one of GLA's inline CO2 atomizers.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Are they really that good? Ive heard a lot about them recently but I wasnt sure

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi kribkeeper,

I too will be setting up a 75 gallon in the near future and have been planning my equipment. I will be running a Magnum 350 filter (or possibly a larger Marineland canister) in conjunction with a Danner Supreme Mag-Drive 9.5 for extra circulation with split inputs and outputs as a closed system. For heaters there will be two Hydor ETH 300 in-line heaters.

For a substrate I currently use Soilmaster Select Charcoal and Turface Pro League Grey, both high CEC Montmorillonite clay products but they have been discontinued. I picked up a couple of 40 lb. bags of Moltan 7941 Safe T Sorb which I will be trying out shortly on a 20 gallons. Here is a thread about it and how it looks.

I currently use Boyu CD-01 () inline diffusers for my 30 gallon and my 45 gallon but I think I will do a DIY Cerges' reactor similar to the AquariumPlants.com reactor.

Boyu CD-01

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 03:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (87/100%)
I have used many diffusers and yes, the GLA atomics are the best I have seen. Microscopic bubbles even when they are filthy and a built in check valve. The customer service at GLA is absolutely phenomenal also.

Regards,
Robert

48G Rimless Mr Aqua

37G Oceanic "Cube"
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi kribkeeper,

I too will be setting up a 75 gallon in the near future and have been planning my equipment. I will be running a Magnum 350 filter (or possibly a larger Marineland canister) in conjunction with a Danner Supreme Mag-Drive 9.5 for extra circulation with split inputs and outputs as a closed system. For heaters there will be two Hydor ETH 300 in-line heaters.

For a substrate I currently use Soilmaster Select Charcoal and Turface Pro League Grey, both high CEC Montmorillonite clay products but they have been discontinued. I picked up a couple of 40 lb. bags of Moltan 7941 Safe T Sorb which I will be trying out shortly on a 20 gallons. Here is a thread about it and how it looks.

I currently use Boyu CD-01 () inline diffusers for my 30 gallon and my 45 gallon but I think I will do a DIY Cerges' reactor similar to the AquariumPlants.com reactor.

Boyu CD-01

Sounds good, as for myself I Am going to run my current fluval 305 along with a large ehiem canister and it now sounds like with an atomic inline diffuser from GLA. As for heating I really dont have any clue and will have to look into it a little more. This really will be my first serious setup so I hope things work since I dont have much experiance in the hightec end of plantkeeping. I think Im going to get the choice co2 setup from GLA since ive heard its very good. And as far as substrate im going to invest a small fortune into 5 bags of ADA amazonia.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi kribkeeper,

I don't know if there is any 'perfect' set-up; we all have our own equipment preferences and budgets and try to work within those constraints. I prefer an 'uncluttered look' in an aquarium so I have been working diligently to remove the pieces of operational equipment from my tanks and get them out of sight that is why I am moving toward the Hydor heaters and the in-line reactor. I don't dislike the little bubbles in my aquariums created by a diffuser (like the Boyu or GLA) but with the reactor those go away as well.

I forgot to mention lighting. My 75 gallon has a canopy so I am going to use something I really like and have used for years, AH Supply (AHS) kits with their excellent MIRO 4 reflectors. These reflectors efficiently direct the lamp output into my aquariums (including my 24" deep tank) with excellent dispersion. Hoppy showed the effectiveness of AHS kits/reflectors verses standard PC/CFL fixtures in his insightful analysis here. I currently use AHS CFL kits in various lengths for my aquariums but for the 75 gallon I will be using their 48" T5HO 54 watt kits; two for the main lighting and possibly a third for a 'noon burst'.

Here is my 30 gallon with an AHS 2x36 watt CFL kit

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sounds good, I dont have any currant pics ofmy setups right now but I will be useing T5HO Lighting setup I already have, but im useing a lower output, around 24w bulbs that do put out less light and I will be useing 4 bulbs. I have also been thinking of the hydor inline because like you, im not a cluttered look person lol I have been looking to find a set of lily pipes for my filter because im not a fan of fluvals black and ehiems green intakes-outputs but i havent been able to find any for less then 80$ Im not entirely thrilled with paying that much haha. Also Since this wll be my first time doseing dry ferts I am wondering what I should get ?? I plan on ordering from GLA for the ferts so what would be a complete doseing system? Im running on well water with a 7.4 ph and 8gh I think.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi kribkeeper888,

One of our LFS sells KNO3 and KH2PO4 and I pick those up locally. I have used aquariumfertilizer.com with good success; excellent products, packaging, and service. Some issues have been raised about GLA's KNO3 in the past.

I dose KNO3 and KH2PO4 for Macros and Flourish Comprehensive, CSM+B, and chelated Iron as Micros. Since our water is really soft here <1.0 dKH / 4.0 dGH I add Seachem Equilibrium for Ca and Mg and a few other micros; you probably would not need Equilibrium.

Roy_________

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I currently does seachem flourish comprehensive along with flourish trace and API leaf zone for chelated iron. And I noticed you mentioned with a co2 diffuser you get micro bubbles and with a reactor you dont. Is that implying that the reactor diffuses 100% of the co2 into the water rather then the diffuser which chops up the co2 into micro bubbles?? Doesnt that make the reactor more efficient then a diffuser then? To go back to my origional question.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi kribkeeper888,

Yes, a good reactor that dissolves 100% of the CO2 is more efficient than a diffuser, however a good reactor is typically (but not always) external to the aquarium and will take up more space than a diffuser. I have seen the internal reactor I linked to and it good except leaves and debris can clog the input.

Roy_________

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Do you have any examples of a "Good" reactor? How about aquariumplants.com's reactor?

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi kribkeeper888,

I do not have any personal experience with that reactor, but that is the DIY one I am building is going to emulate that unit. Maybe another TPT member who has used or is using the aquariumplants.com unit can speak up?

Roy_________

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Anyone have any clue on the aquarium plants.com or any other reactors?

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 05:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode