Different lighting-hours every day ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Different lighting-hours every day ?

Do the plant mind me being inconsisstent with the timing of the light.

Lets say I run from 8AM-4PM one day and next day I run from 3PM-11PM.

Total 8 hours a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Your Lighting Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by upngo.mp View Post
Do the plant mind me being inconsisstent with the timing of the light.

Lets say I run from 8AM-4PM one day and next day I run from 3PM-11PM.

Total 8 hours a day.
Hello up...

Aquarium plants are tropical and used to long hours of daylight. If you want healthy plants, then purchase a timer for your tank lights and set it for the lights to come on for 12 hours and off for 12 hours. That's a good starting point.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 12:08 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
Not all aquarium plants are tropical.

And, unfortunately, not every tank and setup can handle a 12-hour photoperiod without running into deficiency or algae issues. 8 hours is plenty of light for plants, typically. And a little fluctuation in times of day here and there won't be too much of a problem.

But BBradbury is right - a $5 timer automates things and makes it all better for your tank in the long run.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
There are cloudy days in the tropics and there are trees that block the Sun as certain times of the day. Also the Sun's intensity changes during the day.

So some variation of photoperiod will work
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Plants suffer outdoors in natural conditions as well. Many times I have hiked in the backwoods and mountains exploring ponds streams and lakes. Areas that have poor nutrition have plants that show signs of nutrient difficiencies, algae infested ponds with still water have submersed plants that look like crap, and those heavily shaded have little in the way of plants. One stream grows thick beds of plants during the rainy season when the trees are barren of leaves and the water gets more light, while during the summer the plants die back under the shade of the tree canopy.

Areas that have the most lush natural plant growth, are those areas that have the most consistent, prime conditions: good sunlight, rich nutrients, and a steady supply of natural C02 from the underground water table.

For more consistent growth, keep your lights on a timer at the same times every day.

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
12 hours is a long time. Start with 7 or 8 hours, then work up to longer photoperiods if you want to and watch for algae.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 02:50 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
To reiterate, some fluctuations in photoperiods are okay, but plants need regular amounts darkness as well as light to grow well.

are you a sink or source?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode