Tank score! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Tank score!

I always randomly browse craigslist for that crazy good deal..... Yea landed one today, 55 gallon tank lighted hoods, stands, filters etc.... For.... Ready for this?

$25..... Almost feel bad its going to end up as a Sump tank

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
I wish I could find deals like that. All the used tanks listed around here are way over priced.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yea they have been here to pretty badly, I caught this 30 minutes after being posted

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
Craiglist is stupid expensive here. 55 gallon tank beat to heck people post for $1000 or something ridiculous.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
Craiglist is stupid expensive here. 55 gallon tank beat to heck people post for $1000 or something ridiculous.
holy retarded crap, they have been averaging around 100-300 for a 55 with stand here

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA-Planted View Post
holy retarded crap, they have been averaging around 100-300 for a 55 with stand here

Yep. But when you add blue gravel and plastic skulls, it's unique and a work of art, and thus worth 5x more than your normal 55g. Bonus points if you have multiple enormous plecos mixed with african and south american cichlids, and some guppies added in for good measure. Don't forgot to include the AC20, which was the only filter for the tank.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Yep. But when you add blue gravel and plastic skulls, it's unique and a work of art, and thus worth 5x more than your normal 55g. Bonus points if you have multiple enormous plecos mixed with african and south american cichlids, and some guppies added in for good measure. Don't forgot to include the AC20, which was the only filter for the tank.

210 Gallon ~ Clown Loaches & Various Rainbows
125 Gallon ~ Planted
20 Gallon Long ~ Planted
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
well over 5,000 retail in this tank, a Steal for only 1,000 dollars.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_jim_jones View Post
well over 5,000 retail in this tank, a Steal for only 1,000 dollars.
well duh of course lol.

So something kind of odd, picked the tank up last night, going to need a decent cleaning, what caught me off guard though, is it's branded, as a Metaframe? yet has no metal except the cross piece. construction wise very nicely put together the silicon on the seams is almost not even noticeable. I think I got pretty lucky for sure!

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Nice ... sometime you just have to jump on the CL posting cause they go fast here in Northern VA. I got lucky the other week, $10 for a 20g High tank ... he even threw a 1g acrylic hex tank ... my daughter wants to put a Betta in that now ... go figure
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 01:07 PM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

Aquarium keeping is definitely a buyer's market right now. People who charge retail prices for used gear are just disappointing themselves. My 75 gallon acrylic with eheim 2026 and 2217 filters, lighting, diy stand (i built out of birch), and all other associated equipment cost me a grand total of like 150 bucks.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

There are deals out there for sure

So have been looking and can't find anything like what I found, anyone ever seem a metaframe branded tank without a metal frame?

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 05:56 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Wow, please stop making fun of my setup; you're really hurting my feelings.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I always find it helps to posted wanted ad's. Where I am Kijiji is big, not craiglist and I post looking for old tanks, filters, lights sitting in your basement for free or cheap and I get replies of people who bought a tank, the kids fish died in 3 weeks and its sat there empty for a few years wanting to get rid of it and out of their basement.

So far I'm gotten a free 55gal with lights, 40gal, 4 10gals, paid $20 for a box of filters, all Aquaclears, heaters, air pumps, and $300 for my 120gal with lights, sump, pump, stand, bioballs, hood, whole works. Timing is key though. For kijiji, you can get the RSS feed from it, so I use a RSS reader and ad's come up first on there before even active on the site, so I set it refresh every minute and I get deals that the public can't even see yet. Not sure if CL uses RSS as well.

On my local forum we have a overprice CL/Kijiji ad's thread to post ad's and make fun of. The last was $850 for a 65gal with stand, 2 1 bulb T8 lights and a small Eheim Classic filter and a bunch of plastic plants.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (89/100%)
I love good steals on Craigslist. You've got to be lucky with the timing though. My personal favorite score was a 33g Oceanic cube tank with Oceanic stand, XP1 canister filter, Current USA HQI + fluorescent combo light, live rock and livestock for $75. I immediately flipped the live rock and fish for $50.

Got to love the ridiculous prices, great for a laugh!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode