New Amano Tank - Pics and lots of questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Amano Tank - Pics and lots of questions

We have a new planted tank and have a list of questions. We had two small tanks previously (BiOrb Cylindrical for Fancy Goldfish and a heated tropical/planted tank) and did very well with both. Here are the basics of our new tank: 55 gallon, Eheim 2075 Pro 3 Canister Filter, SolarMax 48" Double T5 Light System - 28W x 4, and Pressurized CO2. The plants are Dwarf Baby Tears on Malaysian Driftwood, and Dwarf Hair Grass on Fluval Plant + Shrimp Substrate. We use Yamato Green fertilizer once a week and currently we have it set up for 8 hours of light per day. We've had it up and running for about 2 months and all is good, plants are growing etc. We added our first fish (all algae eaters - 3 Otocinclus, 3 Siamese Algae Eaters, 3 Albino Bushy Nose Plecos and 2 Angelicus Loaches) a few weeks ago, and all seem to be thriving. When we decided on an Amano Tank we hired a professional to set it up since we wanted to make certain it was done correctly. Overall we are happy but also have a lot of questions, as might be expected with a new tank of this type. I am also providing a photo link just in case the questions and/or issues aren't clear:

1. The dwarf grass grows very fast; after trimming it often looks like it needs another one just a few days later. However, we were told the grass would also spread, which doesn't seem to be happening thus far. The clumps of grass haven't really grown together, or filled in the back area of the tank, but it certainly grows upwards very quickly. Is this normal, and can we expect it eventually fill in and spread?
2. There also seems to be a few brown patches developing here and there. Nothing too serious but not really sure how to address this; should we cut these areas, which might create unsightly gaps, or leave alone?
3. Is there a way, or should we even expect for there to be any uniformity as to grass level/height? That is the look we were hoping for, but using the long shears our trimming efforts haven't really turned out that way. As you can see from one of the photos we are able to trim the grass without too much difficulty, but (to me) it looks a little like a bad, or uneven haircut. Our shears were expensive and are very good but perhaps there is a different tool we should also be using?
4. The roots of the dwarf grass are clearly visible when looking at the front of the tank (see photos). Obviously this doesn't look very nice but we can't figure out a way to get rid of these without removing, or harming some of the grass.
5. Overall, the grass looks a little sloppy to me; it seems to fall over in various directions in some areas, roots are present at front of glass, and small debris (from trimming or leaves that have dropped from the Dwarf Baby Tears above) is also visible. There are also stringy roots from the Dwarf Baby Tears draping the sides of the driftwood. Perhaps all of this is okay, or unavoidable, but maybe there are also some things we might do differently that could alleviate some of these issues.
6. We were also told that moss would eventually cover the sides and bottom of the dritwood, but this definitely isn't happening; if anything there seems to be less now. And the Albino Plecos stay attached to this area a lot of the time so perhaps they are removing the moss, or preventing it from growing?
7. We did have some hair algae that was present on clumps of new growth of the dwarf Baby Tears (on top of driftwood). For some reason none of the algae eaters had any intestest in this so we ended up cutting off the new growth. They seem to love eating everything else do not sure why they didn't like this.
8. We also had quite a few small white worms but were told by the Fish Store that these were not Planaria. Perhaps someone can help identify them by looking at the pics. They seem to have gone away recently, or for the most part anyway, so I wonder if the addition of the fish had anything to do with this. Apparently none of them eat worms so who knows.
9. Regarding fish, we have just the algae eaters thus far. 11 total and most are quite small. The 3 Albino Bushy Nose Plecos and 2 Angelicus Loaches are the largest but are all less than an inch long. We want to add Discus and Clown Loaches. The info I've seen online says we should have at least 4 of each for them to be happy. That would put the total number in our tank at 19. The store, as well as the person who did our set up, said this would be fine based on tank size, our equipment, and how often we clean the tank. And I have read numerous sources that say say the Discus and Clown Loaches do well together. Any additional information or feedback would be appreciated.
10. Finally, the set up person said, in some instances, the Discus would nibble on, or eat the types of plants we have. He said it was really trial and error and I wondered if anyone had experience having Discus in a tank with Dwarf Hair Grass and/or Dwarf Baby Tears. Having Discus is particularly important to me, if at all possible in a tank of this type, so I'm hopeful all will okay on this front.

Apologies for the long list but this seemed eaiser than trying to research so many questions on multiple sites and forums. Here's the link for the photos:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1127413...NLyrJzkm76enAE#
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Does anyone have feedback with respect to the above questions? I have received a few responses on other sites but additional information or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 02:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Your haigrass looks fine. The brown is mostlikely the emersed growth still dying back. This is completely normal. I trimmed mine twice a week with barbers scissors for 8 months and when i finally pulled it all out, it had formed such a thick uniform mat that it came out in a solid sheet and took AN INCH of substrate with it. It doesnt look like its fully grown in yet. The more you trim it, the thicker and denser it will grow in. The trimmings help to promote new runners to grow. You're supposed to do this from the start. So just keep trimming it. You have to give it more time.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
It used to cover the entire bottom. this is my tank from october before i rescaped it a few months ago. That hairgrass is about 8 months worth of growth. The hairgrass WILL form a thick mat and the roots will show in the front glass below the substrate, which i actually think looks pretty cool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0647.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	47336  

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the feedback. I guess the roots at the front are normal and so won't worry about these. And we did trim the dwarf grass to an inch in height so hopefully this will facilitate spreading; we will do this on a regular basis. I'm posting a few pics of the newly timmed grass - the brown patches are more visible now, but this is apparently normal as well so it's just a waiting game with respect to the spreading. I did receive some feedback on another forum that indicated our fish selection wasn't the best for this type of tank, which was a little surprising. The person who did our tank works at a well-known fish store in NYC, and we dicussed the choices with staff and owners there. From what I've heard from others, the plecos are known for nibbling on driftwood and moss, so we should remove them if we want the moss to cover the wood. I was also told that the loaches and known for digging so this would prohibit the spreading of the dwarf grass. And finally, another poster said the SAE would become more aggressive later which could cause problems with the Discus when we add them to the tank. So, it would seem only one of the four varieties we currently have (the Ottocinclus) are appropriate for an Amano tank. At this point I guess we're going to remove the SAE, loaches and plecos, and add the Discus. At that point our tank would have only ottocinclus and discus. Does this sound like the best way to proceed? I would appreciate any additional info with respect to fish, and what is and is not appropriate for an Amano tank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	more aqua 001.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	47726  

Name:	more aqua 002.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	47727  

Name:	more aqua 003.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	47728  

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
When you planted it did you break apart the pots into small patches? You want to make small "plugs" and spread the hair grass out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 12:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgd View Post
When you planted it did you break apart the pots into small patches? You want to make small "plugs" and spread the hair grass out.

+1

Nice plants
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think the grass was planted in clumps, as opposed to breaking up and plugging individually. Will this prohibit spreading altogether, or will it just take longer? We would like to avoid removing everything and replanting, but will do so if it's absolutely necessary. My hope is by continuing to cut to 1" height the grass will eventually fill in without having to re-do the planting.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
When I mean plugs, I don't mean individual pieces of grass. Some people do that, but I more meant resonable size plugs. Something like 1/4" to 3/8" in size which would be half a dozen plants or whatever. Just as long as you didn't take the pot, break it in half and call it a day.

It just takes longer. Just think of it like surface area that will spread out. You have the circumference of one big circle or a bunch of little ones.

Try cutting a small patch down really short, leaving only 1/2" or so. From the pics it looks like it's rooting well but it looks pretty thick. Thickness definitely slows down the process of filling in because it'll only grow out from the edges.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 04:59 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)
I love the driftwood bridge with the HC. You may want to consider DHG belem. It doesn't grow as tall. But definitely plant in small clumps. Siphon while trimming your HC to keep the scraps out of your grass. If you want moss on the driftwood too, then get more and tie it over the HC roots with cotton thread. Moss is usually cheap, so there's no need to wait and hope that the tiny amount you have will eventually cover the wood.

-Sean

| 60-P | 45-F 1 | 45-F 2

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode