Using dry Ferts in dirt near pond - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Using dry Ferts in dirt near pond

I have lots of plants including roses around perimeter of my pond.Im thinking of using my dry ferts mixed with water as I cant find any products that are fish friendly.Do you think it would work?Will there be salt buildup issues? Again there around the pond in dirt,not in the water
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 10:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Rotten View Post
I have lots of plants including roses around perimeter of my pond.Im thinking of using my dry ferts mixed with water as I cant find any products that are fish friendly.Do you think it would work?Will there be salt buildup issues? Again there around the pond in dirt,not in the water
Whatever you sprinkle near a pond will eventually make its way to it through ground water. I know alot of ponds in this area have algae problems due to increased nitrates and other lawn fertilizers which run off of peoples yards. I would image you may have similar issues but I am no expert on pond fertilization .
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 02:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
If your pond is the enclosed rubber type of liner or the hard plastic 'preformed' pond then the fertilizers on the outside may find their way in when it rains so hard the run off ends up in the pond, flowing across the surface of the soil, but ferts cannot leak through the rubber or plastic liner.

Some water-borne materials can seep though porous concrete and other masonry products, but you would notice water leaking the other way: The pond would leak. Even if there are no cracks, just an unsealed masonry surface can allow water (with dissolved materials) to move either direction.

A natural pond, open to the soil can certainly be polluted by below grade water movement carrying fertilizers usually down, but sideways, too. The worst offender I hear more about than any other is Nitrate. In agricultural districts where KNO3 and other nitrates are used to grow pretty much everything the wells test 10 ppm NO3 or more.

If you are worried about the dry ferts we use in aquariums (Agricultural products) finding their way into your pond, why not use organic products like bloodmeal, bonemeal, greensand and similar products. They become part of the soil micro-ecology and get bound up via the actions of microorganisms in the soil.
Keep the soil loose, and mulch heavily with bark, coarse compost or similar material.
Minimize foot traffic on the soil. Put flagstone where you know you will need to walk, and stay on the path. This will reduce soil compaction so when it does rain the rail will soak into the soil, not run off. The improved air movement through the soil will benefit soil microorganisms as well as the plants, and this will contribute to the better use of the natural fertilizers.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 03:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Jonny - You can just go organic and not worry about it. Use pond water & W/C from your tanks on your plants & flowers. Coffee grounds around your rose bushes & acid loving plants.

You can do a lot for free and not worry about OD your pond.

Here's a link to get you started:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/organ...m0z11zhun.aspx

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode