Maintenance of ten gallon hand-me-down - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Maintenance of ten gallon hand-me-down

I moved out of my mother's house and to another state three years ago. She agreed to take over the care of my 10 gallon tank. It is heavily planted with java fern and crypts.

When I left, it was stocked with three black skirt tetras. I have always kept a really low bioload on the tank because I wanted a lot of leeway regarding water changes. I didn't test the water on a regular basis, either.

About a year ago, my mom decided she was bored and wanted to add two sunset platys. I warned her that they were livebearers, but she didn't seem to mind.

Now she has fifteen platys and two black skirt tetras. They seem to have stopped breeding, for now. I heard that when livebearers are inbred, they become sterile after a few generations, so maybe that is what happened. Is this true?

The java fern is flourishing, and the algae is basically non-existent. The platys are constantly grazing the java fern. The crypts seem a little wimpy compared to what they were like when I left three years ago. I read that they can react badly to sudden changes in water quality.

I change the water when I visit, but I only visit a few times a year. Sometimes I don't go home for three months. Mom refuses to do water changes. She buys this stuff called Nitro-ban instead. I've never even heard of it. I have no idea if it's safe.

I haven't tested the water parameters because my kits are expired and it seems like a waste to buy a new water testing kit I'm only going to use once or twice. I know that I need to test the water, but the fish seem so happy and the java fern is really flourishing.

Even if I buy the kit and find out the nitrates are high, can I really do anything about it if I can't convince my mother to do water changes? Does this Nitro-ban stuff really help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm sorry, I think this thread needs to be moved to General Planted Tank Discussion. I should have looked around a little more before posting.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 05:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Well it's her tank she can do what she wants. Best you can do is maybe buy a book or print some articles about the importance of water changes. If she doesn't do it, there's nothing else you can do about it as you've given up your tank and don't really have a say. Sorry to be harsh but that's what it boils down to - You can take that tank with you across 3 states if you want water changes to be done to it.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah, I guess I should just be grateful that she's taking care of it at all. And it looks great, so I guess it can't be too bad.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode