Why are my swords 'melting' ?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Why are my swords 'melting' ??

I knew that I'd jinx things by saying 'everything seems to be going well..'

Over the past week my plants have taken a turn for the worse, and I don't know why !

I've been doing regular water changes, my lighting's on exactly the same as ever

on: 07:00 - 09:30 (so it's on when I get up and getting ready for work) - 2.5hrs
off: 09:30 - 15:00 (comes on just before the kids come home from school) - 5.5hrs
on: 15:00 - 23:00 (on for my pleasure through the evening) - 8hrs
off: 23:00 - 07:00 (I'm sleeping) - 8hrs

I've been dosing the correct amount of Flourish Excel supplements (Flourish Excel Carbon for the planted aquarium & Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the planted aquarium) maybe weekly, sometimes every other week if I forget the weekly one.

The water temperature is: 77~78 (25~26)

My water parameters are:

pH = 7.6 ~ 7.8
high range pH = 8 ~ 8.2
Ammonia = 0.25ppm
Nitrate = 40ppm
Nitrite = 0ppm

Here are some pics for you to see and hopefully diagnose what's going wrong.

Any ideas ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That sword looks like it is is just shifting over to immersed state because it was grown out of water. When did you get it?

Did it have lots of roots?

Also what are you using for lighting and how high above the substrate is the light?

I'm also having problems with my sword recently which is weird because it had been thriving for over a year now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^^^Fraternity of Dirt #29 >>>>>As below, so above and beyond, I imagine. Drawn outside the lines of reason. Push the envelope. Watch it bend.<<<<<
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 08:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
I agree with ridethespiral about it being grown emersed. Most swords are grown emersed and the leaves will "melt" when first put in the tank due to them having to get used to being submersed.

@ridethespiral, what I can suggest for you is to put some roots tabs under the plant and see if it bounces back

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinycard255 View Post
@ridethespiral, what I can suggest for you is to put some roots tabs under the plant and see if it bounces back

Hah! Great idea. Don't know why I hadn't thought about that since I actually have some rootmedic tabs

^^^Fraternity of Dirt #29 >>>>>As below, so above and beyond, I imagine. Drawn outside the lines of reason. Push the envelope. Watch it bend.<<<<<

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode