Do Any Aquatic plants improve indoor air quality? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do Any Aquatic plants improve indoor air quality?

I've become interested lately in improving indoor air quality.

I am curious if any aquatic plants improve it. I recently added duckweed to my aquarium, and since duckweed sits on the surface of the water, I thought it might help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
I cant see how they wouldn't be helping air quality even though it is minimal. Unless u have a ton of plants and don't run co2 I don't think u will notice your air quality improving.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 06:23 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Maybe there is some type of hydroponic plant that is good for the air.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
one plant alone wont do it. but if u walk into anyone's house that has an assortment of plants. there is a noticeable difference.

but yes they are helping air quality. just not enough to notice.

for instance though. my parents house is surrounded by well groomed and placed plants. not overly abundant but the area surrounding the house wihout opening ur eyes is peaceful. air is clean and pleasantly humid during drier days it always makes me want to take a nap

Sump Pimp #7

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 11:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

Riparium plants will aid in "air scrubbing", but it's also important to have air circulation in room so gases don't build up in room sections.

The spathyllium or peace lily is a popular one, along with spider plants and philadedrons.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 02:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
I can't imagine a fully submersed plant having much effect, given its limited gas exchange across the water-air interface.

You'd need emergent plants with large leaves, +1 for peace lily, I grow mine in a water vase, and some outside in a container pond. Here's a table of good air-cleansing plants.

Not sure which others can be grown partly in water other than peace lily. You'd also need 1 large plant (6-8" diameter pot) per 100 square foot of space to really get it going.

current:

| retired:

|
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 04:49 AM
Algae Grower

As far as I know most of the air filtration on the planet comes from the ocean. So that’s good for underwater air purification..

Next up I heard what is important is growth speed. The faster it grows the more CO2 it pulls. Not sure where I heard this either...

I do have a VOC and an CO2 meter in my bedroom. Our VOCs average around 2000 ppb the past week as an example. The device I have wants it to be under 345 to show good. Now we are in the 5/5 zone for worst.

I got a 20 gallon planted tank and I’m guessing it doesn’t touch this (but it is in another room). About to make my 58gallon oceanic from saltwater to a heavy planted tank. I have a powerful LED light capable of 200par at the sand below it. I do write some numbers here or there in regards to my air quality and make notes (such as today I used a different cat litter or I changed laundry detergent). I hope it can help. I know CO2 messes with my saltwater tank since it is making my PH go too low to grow the corals. Reefers use a air line to the outside to solve the problem. It was one of the reason I purchased a CO2 meter. I think that will get mixed into the water. I have a strong gyre if not.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 02:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Plants in general help clean the air and many "house plants" are good at removing VOC's. It's easy to go the other way and pollute the indoor air with the pot of moist soil or tank of water that the plant is growing in.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode