My brother wants to give up on his tanks. Any advice? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My brother wants to give up on his tanks. Any advice?

So basically my brother has had his freshwater planted tanks up for 1-2 years now (he has an 8g, 15g, and 20g) and it seems like he's going to give up on them. I always really liked looking at his fish, so I'm kinda bummed about this - I have a reef tank, so I get my fairy share of pretty fish, but I do enjoy his freshwater tanks and think it would be kind of sad to have him get rid of all his fish (especially his 2yr old female betta!).

He seems really fed up with water changes - he does 50% once every Sunday on each of the tanks with a python, but it still takes a good hour or two and he has trouble doing it by himself. I guess this is too much for him because he's going into med school this summer and will be very busy. I think having 3 tanks is what's making it so difficult in particular, and it would be much easier for him to have only one tank up and running.

Problem is, I think to upgrade he would need a tank that's ~40-50g (for stability and for his fish to get along) - and I don't think he can afford this. He doesn't have a source for income, but I do (I own a small gold ring store online). I'm not super-duper interested in freshwater but a few things do interest me about it - particularly angelfish, discus, and rainbowfish . I am thinking either:

1. I take all his fish for him and try to set up a tank for all of them. Problem is, I am still trying to set up a larger reef tank and it is kind of expensive.

or

2. Find a way for him to set up a larger tank as cheaply as possible with low maintenance.

Obviously I would prefer option 2, but I would be interested to hear input from anyone going through something similar - any college students who maintain planted tanks with little maintenance? How do you do it?

Perhaps on the flip side...if either of these options don't work, does anyone have any ideas on how to find a good home for his fish he has now? I'm particularly worried about the betta - if she were to go back to a fish store, I'm afraid she would end up in a bowl. Sorry for ranting and thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 03:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I suggest keep the 20, the larger the relatively more stable. Sell off everything else and depending on what fish he has trade them to a LFS for credit. Downsizing can reduce the stress.

Set up a low light, low maint. planted tank. Keep the fish pop. light Basically get back to the simple joy of having a tank again.

He could go to a weekly 20% water change if he keeps the Bio-load light. That's only 4gl of water ang that can be down with 2- 1gal milk jugs which eliminates dealing with 25ft of snake hose.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 04:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
He seems to be doing a lot of water changes for having plants. Maybe he can get rid of just one tank then do a water change on one tank per weekend alternating weekends.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 04:19 AM
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)
Pick up a bigger tank on craigslist, you can get a 50 gallon for really cheap if you keep an eye on craigslist. I got my 50 gallon on craigslist 3 years ago for 25 dollars.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 04:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
And show him some inspirational tanks to keep him motivated.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 04:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laureli View Post
So basically my brother has had his freshwater planted tanks up for 1-2 years now (he has an 8g, 15g, and 20g) and it seems like he's going to give up on them. I always really liked looking at his fish, so I'm kinda bummed about this - I have a reef tank, so I get my fairy share of pretty fish, but I do enjoy his freshwater tanks and think it would be kind of sad to have him get rid of all his fish (especially his 2yr old female betta!).

He seems really fed up with water changes - he does 50% once every Sunday on each of the tanks with a python, but it still takes a good hour or two and he has trouble doing it by himself. I guess this is too much for him because he's going into med school this summer and will be very busy. I think having 3 tanks is what's making it so difficult in particular, and it would be much easier for him to have only one tank up and running.

Problem is, I think to upgrade he would need a tank that's ~40-50g (for stability and for his fish to get along) - and I don't think he can afford this. He doesn't have a source for income, but I do (I own a small gold ring store online). I'm not super-duper interested in freshwater but a few things do interest me about it - particularly angelfish, discus, and rainbowfish . I am thinking either:

1. I take all his fish for him and try to set up a tank for all of them. Problem is, I am still trying to set up a larger reef tank and it is kind of expensive.

or

2. Find a way for him to set up a larger tank as cheaply as possible with low maintenance.

Obviously I would prefer option 2, but I would be interested to hear input from anyone going through something similar - any college students who maintain planted tanks with little maintenance? How do you do it?

Perhaps on the flip side...if either of these options don't work, does anyone have any ideas on how to find a good home for his fish he has now? I'm particularly worried about the betta - if she were to go back to a fish store, I'm afraid she would end up in a bowl. Sorry for ranting and thanks for any input!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
Pick up a bigger tank on craigslist, you can get a 50 gallon for really cheap if you keep an eye on craigslist. I got my 50 gallon on craigslist 3 years ago for 25 dollars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
I suggest keep the 20, the larger the relatively more stable. Sell off everything else and depending on what fish he has trade them to a LFS for credit. Downsizing can reduce the stress.

Set up a low light, low maint. planted tank. Keep the fish pop. light Basically get back to the simple joy of having a tank again.

He could go to a weekly 20% water change if he keeps the Bio-load light. That's only 4gl of water ang that can be down with 2- 1gal milk jugs which eliminates dealing with 25ft of snake hose.

I think a mixture of the two quoted ideas are the best. Larger tank, low light and a light rainbowfish load. I would stay clear of Discus, they (from what I have read) tend to be a higher workload, Rainbowfish are relatively easy to care for, and still very colorful (find a reputable breeder, the LFS breeds tend to be more washed out or hybrids)

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 06:12 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
I think having 3 tanks is what's making it so difficult in particular, and it would be much easier for him to have only one tank up and running.
I agree, having one tank gives one focus instead of three. The new tank may give more interest, since it's a fresh start.

Quote:
any college students who maintain planted tanks with little maintenance? How do you do it?

does anyone have any ideas on how to find a good home for his fish he has now?
I keep a very small bioload with lots of plants. I also work on tanks over the weekends only. Working on the tanks is kind of like my reward at the end of the week! At the start of the hobby I went pleading to petco to take my fish when I bought too many, and they took them. I know that family owned lfs can be understanding when it comes to needing to rehome animals.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 06:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have a decently planted tank (in my avatar, though it now looks different). The longest I've gone without a water change is 2 months in a 17G tank, and all levels are 0, besides a little bit of nitrate. My livestock:
50+ painted fire red shrimp
5 cardinal tetras
12 ember tetras
12 celestial pearl danios
1 CPO dwarf crayfish
10 dwarf cories
6 nerite snails...
are all doing awesome.

So if the tank is well planted (1/3 or more of the tank with plant mass), I would think that he'd be okay changing water once a month or so.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 02:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
You can find tanks on Craigslist for good prices if he wanted a bigger tank. 40 gallon breeder would be great but might be hard to find. There is also the Petco dollar per gallon sale, 40 bucks for a 40 gal breeder is not bad. Still would need a heater and a filter, unless you could take the filters from the old tanks and run on the breeder.

One concern, are all his fish compatible if placed in a single tank? If not select his favorites that are compatible and trade the others for credit, sale or give away the others.

I definitely would recommend going to one tank 20L (not 20H) or larger. I would also recommend setting up a Low tech, Low light tank. You could use the existing substrate or do a dirt tank and use the existing substrate as the cap.
Plant heavily, I consider this to be 75% of the tank has plants when viewing from top down. If you did this he could probably go to monthly 50% water changes and maybe weekly or every two weeks topping off.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
Really an echo of the above. Have him keep just the 20. Completely re-do it, low light, anubias, crypts, ferns and mosses. Will look great, and if he keeps a lighter bio-load he can do 25% a week water changes or less. He should be able to trade in his extra equipment/livestock for some LFS credit I would imagine, to help with the transformation.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode