in setting up a new tank, just throw some rotting junk in? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
in setting up a new tank, just throw some rotting junk in?

Hi,

So I recently set up my first tank and I'm thinking of setting up another.

I used live plants.

I've been thinking lately that instead of using chemical fertilizers, wouldn't it make sense to just throw in like a lemon or some banana peels to an aquarium?

A lemon for instance would lower PH in the case of high PH. Bananas contain potassium and iron.

As they rot they use up oxygen and give off CO2. I have a hunch that encouraging a bacterial bloom likely accelerates the nitrogen cycle.

eh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 06:44 AM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
I don't know about all that but all you need to do to cycle your new tank is take some media from your old one and place it in there or feed the tank fish food everyday till the rise and drop of ammonia/nitrite.

40B - Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~~
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 07:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Pretty silly, do you want an ugly banana in your tank or do you want to just pump out a a small amount of liquid fertilizer that basically disappears in the tank. Don't over think it

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I don't think you'll have enough "material" with one banana peal & one Lemon peal to get the effect you listed. However, I think they will drive the cycle as they decay.

You could put them in a woman's nylon stocking bag. Maybe add a sm. pc of Cat or Dog poop.

It would be a journal worthy experiment thread. I know I would subscribe. We need more people stepping out of the box to help the hobby evolve. I don't think throwing $$$ at the aquarium is the answer to keeping planted tanks.

Best of Luck.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 03:51 PM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
As long as it doesn't have any fish or shrimp in it, I see no harm in trying. I have a feeling you'll get cloudy water and bad algae though

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode