any ferts not specifically made for aquariums that you can still use? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
any ferts not specifically made for aquariums that you can still use?

A dry fert from walmart or home depot or something, something that will provide everything for plants.

40B - Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 03:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Part of the problem is that in the soil it is not so totally wet all the time, so some fertilizers react a bit differently. Urea, for example works just fine in the garden, but not in an aquarium.

Anyway, I have heard of people using certain of the Jobes stakes products. (I am not sure which), breaking up a stick or two per 10 gallons and sticking it well under the substrate. Search here for more info about exactly which ones and the dose.

Osmocote is a garden product that works in aquariums. You need to get the pellets under the substrate. There are 2 ways that are commonly used: Freeze some in ice cubes and stick the ice cubes under the substrate or put the pellets into medicine capsules size 00 and stick these into the substrate.

Of course the simplest are the fertilizers used in agriculture:
KNO3 (also an ingredient in some stump removers, but not all)
KH2PO4
K2SO4
Chelated Iron (at least 2 formulations, different chelating materials)

Other material from other industries:
Calcium carbonate (I have some labeled for spas) Raises the KH (and usually therefore the pH) and calcium level (thus the GH)
Muriatic Acid (Pool and masonry uses) for cleaning that REALLY bad stuck on mineral deposits. (Caution: If you are not accustomed to using this, do not.)
Epsom Salt (medical use) adds magnesium, raising the GH.
Table salt, Kosher salt: Medication for certain parasite problems in fresh water fish.
Baking soda: Raises the KH, and this can raise the pH.
Peat Moss (Pure Canadian Sphagnum) Adds organic acids to the water, and some peat moss acts like an ion exchange water softener. May lower the GH or KH, and usually lowers the pH. A substitute for 'Black Water Extract'
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 03:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Part of the problem is that in the soil it is not so totally wet all the time, so some fertilizers react a bit differently. Urea, for example works just fine in the garden, but not in an aquarium.
I would disagree with that. I've been using Atlantis Fish Emulsion 4-2-0 and it is a Urea based product. YES, you need to use caution and use a very light dose. Of course common sense should prevail with all ferts.

I'm currently waiting for my local garden enter to bring in Dr. Earth's organic 4-4-4 and I'll be testing the next.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Just got back from picking up some Jobes fert spikes 13-4-5 and some Osmocote Outdoor/Indoor plant food 19-6-12

I'm going to do that ice cube trick but how much fert per cube?

40B - Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~~~
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Banned

i broke a jobes stick into 4ths and stuck a little piece next to each of my plants. im hoping to see improvements with growth. Without co2 should i keep buying Excel?

40B - Shrimp tank

~~~
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 05:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Fleet enema for phosphates and stump remover for nitrates. But with dry ferts being so cheap why not just order them?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Banned

why order them when i can go out at 9:00pm and buy them? lol

also while im at it, if i used something like a triple 16 fert, would that be dangerous in an aquarium?

40B - Shrimp tank

~~~
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

Ferts Not Specifically for Aquariums

Hello j...

Check into the hydroponics fertilizers. These aren't specifically for use in aquariums, but I've used some liquids from a company called "Earth Juice" for a couple of years and they work very well. The one I currently use is "Microblast".

By far the best, long term fertilizer is the kind the fish produce, so it's important to feed them a balanced diet. The plants also need micro nutrients or "trace elements" dosed weekly. These come from a commercial source in dry, liquids, tablets or granules. Just dose according to instructions.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
By far the best, long term fertilizer is the kind the fish produce, so it's important to feed them a balanced diet. The plants also need micro nutrients or "trace elements" dosed weekly. These come from a commercial source in dry, liquids, tablets or granules. Just dose according to instructions.

B
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Banned

no fish just shrimp but theres tons of poop around my plants.

and i was under the impression that osmocote or jobes contained trace elements?

40B - Shrimp tank

~~~
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 06:23 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1337538128982.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  14.3 KB

This jobes? I would also like to know if people have used it with good results.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
The one usually suggested is the fern and palm houseplant one as it is lower in urea or some such. I used the one pictured on the bottom of my tank buried a minimum of 2" deep in December 2011 and even brought the remains of one up when I did a minor rescape March 2012 with no problem at all. I broke them into 1/4s and put one every 4-6" or so. My nitrates were very high but no green water outbreak or anything. I would rather try Osmocote Plus but it isn't sold around here.

You can buy stump remover that is 100% KNO3 at good nurseries but you pay big bucks for it there. Online is cheaper even with shipping. Fleet enema isn't as good as the dry stuff as it has sodium in it.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 12:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Excel is a source of carbon. None of the fertilizers are a substitute for carbon. So in answer to the question in post #5, yes, keep using Excel.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdavis1982 View Post
Attachment 47818

This jobes? I would also like to know if people have used it with good results.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Yea this jobes with no problems at all. my anubias seem to be liking it but it hasn't been that long. im using it for my wisteria and jungle val so we'll see how those do.

40B - Shrimp tank

~~~
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 03:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
I would disagree with that. I've been using Atlantis Fish Emulsion 4-2-0 and it is a Urea based product. YES, you need to use caution and use a very light dose. Of course common sense should prevail with all ferts.

I'm currently waiting for my local garden enter to bring in Dr. Earth's organic 4-4-4 and I'll be testing the next.
Agreed. People using RootMedic, Pfertz, and Seachem nitrogen have been using Urea for years....

Now, if you use a urea product like DF, you need to use caution. but it can be done.

You won't find products like kno3 or the like at HD or walmart. You might find them at a hydroponics store.

For ease of use, one of the aquarium products or dry products marketed to aquariums is a lot easier. You don't have to "figure it out" on your own. But with some research and some trial and error, you can make some of the other products work.

You can't use miracle grow all purpose food. I can tell you that for sure. Bad news bear.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode