Seachem Clarity made my tank worse!? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Exclamation Seachem Clarity made my tank worse!?

I am in the process of setting up my new tank. I had cloudy water in it, have not even added my plants yet. I thought "hey, why not buy this seachem clarity and clear up my water" I put it in and it made the water horribly more cloudy. It says on the bottle that after 2 hours it will clear up. Well, it has been longer than that, and it still looks horrible.

Have I completely screwed up my tank, or can a water change make it better?

Please help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Cloudy water is normal for a new tank beginning it's cycle. Just wait it out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzer View Post
Cloudy water is normal for a new tank beginning it's cycle. Just wait it out.
After adding the seachem clarity though, I cannot even see through the cloudiness now. It is 10 times worse. Can I wait it out, or do I need to do something drastic?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 11:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I did the same thing with my first tank, bought some Seachem clarity which helped none at all. Later I discovered Seachem Purigen. Now that is some good stuff!

farmhand aka Clifford aka Grandpa

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 11:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
clarity is a flocculating agent, all it does is clump the particulates which cause cloudiness together. if you dont have good mechanical filtration, this is useless. if you do, it should help.
clarity doesnt hurt the tanks ecosystem, and you can remove anything suspended in the water column with water changes.
if you want to clear up the water ASAP, do a few 75% water changes.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCountry View Post
After adding the seachem clarity though, I cannot even see through the cloudiness now. It is 10 times worse. Can I wait it out, or do I need to do something drastic?
The folks at Seachem are really good people and they make great products. My guess is, do a water change at most. Contact Seachem at their support site.
http://www.seachem.com/support/Support.html
They will give you a straight answer.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I just added 1 1/2 trays of fluval polishing pads to my Fluval 405, and 1 tray of fluval clearmax bags (because I couldn't find purigen) yesterday, and did the clarity today.

I guess I will let it sit overnight and then if it is not somewhat better in the morning, I will do a water change.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 12:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
clarity will make it much cloudier when first added, I've found it takes a longer than two hours to clear up...depends on the substrate you used. like mentioned, lots of mech filtration will help as it clarity clumps all the tiny particles into larger ones that can be handled by the filter. i think its recommended to clean the mech portion of the filters after using, once things clear up.

/
/
/ 12g rimless - not yet started / Cannon Pimp Club #009 -T3i
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 02:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCountry View Post
As long as you have filtration, you can wait it out.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update: a 70% water change got me back to the slightly cloudy water I had before the addition of the clarity.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
If the tank is cycling, what's the big deal?

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
If the tank is cycling, what's the big deal?
No big deal, I was just paranoid at first.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update 2: Got home from work yesterday and the tank had magically cleared itself up during the day. Thanks to all who let me know it was just a cycling deal.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

When you stop learning about everything going on inside your tank, it stops being fun. Good thing there's more going on in there then I'll ever know.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?rmkxl3
Sent from my iphone while reading this thread and driving a 18 wheel big rig up I-5.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
YOU may eventually know more than you thought you would know. depends on how deep you dig

i still haven't figured out the synaptic firing sequence of a fish brain yet

Sump Pimp #7

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode