New Plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
New Plants

First of all, I am new to planted tanks. I got new plants in the mail about two weeks ago. I got ludwigia repens, dwarf sag, jungle val, riccia (floating plant), an anubias nana, and a amazon sword for my 25 gallon. How long before all the plants get growing really good? Especially the jungle val, and the dwarf sag as they both seem to be melting. How long is this acclimation period?

I have:

Eco complete mixed with regular gravel

Dosing flourish comp and flourish iron along with root tabs

two 14 watt t5 lights 10,000 and 6,700 k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How hard is your water? Vals do better with harder water. Also you do realize this plant can grow 3' tall? Dwarf sag can be a pain, I'm not sure you're lighting will be enough for it.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I go over 1 watt per gallon thats good enough from what I've been told. Especially in a low tech tank!!! And my ph is 7.5, ya thats why u trim the jungle val. I enjoy taking care of my tank so dwarf sag wont be that much of a problem!!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 03:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Watts per gallon rule is pretty much out the window when it comes to planted tanks, it's best to go by PAR

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...t5-t12-pc.html

^^^That link will explain what PAR is, and what lights are best to get the best PAR vs Distance for your lights.

Jungle Val does best when grown under high lighting setups, but Dwarf Sag. will grow with low-lighting, but the growth will be slow. I suggest getting two 6500k or 6700k bulbs, the reason is 6500k bulbs are closest to normal sunlight therefor plants grow best when 6500/6700k bulb are used.

Also what are using for your Co2 source? Are you even supplying the tank with any kind of carbon whether it be DIY Co2, Co2 injection, or Flourish Excel?

There's really no set "acclimation" period for plants, just because everyone's tanks are different, and plants can flourish really well in 1 persons tank, but not so well in another persons tank that's identical.

Best thing I can say is to go through the forums, and just read everything you can in the stickies in each of the forums.......

15g Fluval Flex - Will be a planted shrimp tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode