Rebooting my tank today - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Rebooting my tank today

I had a big outbreak of cladophora. I've been taking out what I can everyday. But that has not been enough. i also used some Miracle Grow as a base and EC as a capper. The problem is every time I want to move a plant I pull up a bunch of black MG with it....then it forms a layer of mulm and dirt on the plants choking them of light and nutrients there-by giving the algae a head start.
Sssooooo......Today I'm starting all over. All my fish get put into the hospital tank. All the plants get put into another holding tank where I can keep them until I can get all the EC taken out and washed free of the MG. I'm laying out a big plastic tarp in my driveway so I can spread out the EC to prepare it for a major spray down. Did I mention this is for a 80g tank? All Of my rocks get a major scrubbing down too. I'll also be inspecting then dipping all of my plants in a bleach solution before they chill out in some dechloranator for awhile. Then.......the re-scape. I just hope this isn't all for nothing.

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. -Albert Einstein-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
You ought to see the floor of my tank. Little peices of wood and such, but I like it and it looks natual + what does it HURT?

The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
it does work... i've done multiple restarts.. i had algae one time. all my fish died the other.
major filtration change

everytime a major change has happened. i usually drain and pull out my entire tank and start over i enjoy that process a lot

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

That was a very long day. I ended up having to throw away most of my swords. The roots were about 5 pounds a piece. I had a melon sword that was 1.5' across. When I pulled that up half the substrate came with it. Hopefully my water will be ok in the AM. My fish look very cramped in their hospital tank. But... so far so good.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 02:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
So from what I read you are restarting because of the MG not because of the clado right?
I will be moving in about 4-5 months give or take a couple of months. I'm thinking about going with a new substrate when I have to take the tank down. Playsand just looks old and dirty after 2 years lmao. Not to mention every time I play in the tank I have to do a water change because of the crap that accumulates on the surface.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesenek View Post
So from what I read you are restarting because of the MG not because of the clado right?
I will be moving in about 4-5 months give or take a couple of months. I'm thinking about going with a new substrate when I have to take the tank down. Playsand just looks old and dirty after 2 years lmao. Not to mention every time I play in the tank I have to do a water change because of the crap that accumulates on the surface.
IF i do it over again. im going with ADA aquasoil. of that im certain
i've done dirt, flourite, gravel, and the next step will be ada aquasoil. im quite excited actually to use a product that can constantly supply nutrients to the root without turning into mush.AND doesn't go anaerobic

Sump Pimp #7

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 02:55 PM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

Also keep in mind, when you pull a plant to re-scape, you dont have to pull the entire root system. I use mineralized topsoil and gravel, and the way I prevent mixing during a re-scape, is I cut the roots. Just pull the plant up to where you have a couple inches of roots and cut them at the substrate. A good root trimming has actually encouraged growth spurts after a re-scape for me. It usually takes a week or two for them to re-acclimate to their new position in the tank, but they always end up healthier from it. Not an expert, just my experience and $0.02.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpb View Post
Also keep in mind, when you pull a plant to re-scape, you dont have to pull the entire root system. I use mineralized topsoil and gravel, and the way I prevent mixing during a re-scape, is I cut the roots. Just pull the plant up to where you have a couple inches of roots and cut them at the substrate. A good root trimming has actually encouraged growth spurts after a re-scape for me. It usually takes a week or two for them to re-acclimate to their new position in the tank, but they always end up healthier from it. Not an expert, just my experience and $0.02.
Aren't you ever worried about the roots rotting under the substrate?

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmbosnia1 View Post
Aren't you ever worried about the roots rotting under the substrate?
some will rot. its the job of fungus and bacteria to finish off the unused root tissue

new roots do form and everything is ok

Sump Pimp #7

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
IF i do it over again. im going with ADA aquasoil. of that im certain
i've done dirt, flourite, gravel, and the next step will be ada aquasoil. im quite excited actually to use a product that can constantly supply nutrients to the root without turning into mush.AND doesn't go anaerobic
Yeah I was just thinking about how much it would cost to fill my 75g with AS and found out it would only need 5 9 liter bags for a 3 inch bed which would only be ~ $170.00 after shipping which isn't bad at all.

However I'm not totally convinced that it would be any better than my sand that I already have. I've never had any trouble growing things in my substrate they always rooted very fast.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 06:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

YES, they will always root. its in a plant's nature to root itself stable

but the aquasoil is designed to provide long term nutrients and water flow through the root system.. big advantage over many substrate choices
the only nutrient that runs out fast in aquasoil is nitrate because plants use it more than an other nutrient. other than that it helps provide consistency. plants dont have to wait on root tabs or water column fertilization

Sump Pimp #7

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpb View Post
I have done this multiple times. The only problem I had was the substrate getting packed with roots.

-Mike
Mini-M Journal:

Mini-M Journal 2:
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 01:03 AM
bpb
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, the roots do accumulate, but they end up breaking down over time. Has never caused me a problem before and I've had this tank going for a couple years now

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode