10# co2 tank over fill? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
10# co2 tank over fill?

I went to get my 10# aluminum co2 tank refilled yesterday and the guy asked me what size it was. I said 10 but it was really loud in there with tanks being filled and such and he thought I said 20. He filled it up for a 20#, after I told him what happaned and he let some out. When I got home and hooked it back up it was about 2000 psi (usualy about half that). Is this to much pressure for this tank and system (Aquatek-California regulator). Should I let some out or will it be ok? It seams to be working just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
it has a pressure relief valve that hsould be around 1800 psi. if the relief valve isn't bad then ur regulator could be off. you should be fine
or the valve could be 2100. i have seen a few aluminum tanks with a set working pressure of 2100

just don't make it a habit and everythign will be fine down the road

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 01:48 PM
m8e
Planted Member

First of all the pressure depends on the temperature and not how much it is filled, the CO2 is in liquid form with some gas at the top. Had the bottle been in a hot car or outside in direct sunlight?

You can't fill a 1 gallon container with 2 gallons of liquid.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8e View Post
First of all the pressure depends on the temperature and not how much it is filled, the CO2 is in liquid form with some gas at the top. Had the bottle been in a hot car or outside in direct sunlight?

You can't fill a 1 gallon container with 2 gallons of liquid.
a 5lb bottom will hold 5 lbs of liquid c02. this does not fill the whole tank full. anything over 5 lbs in that size tank will increase the pressure

temperature will affect it as well. usually no that much. watch the gauge as the temp of the bottle adjusts to ur house temp.

Sump Pimp #7

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 02:44 PM
m8e
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
a 5lb bottom will hold 5 lbs of liquid c02. this does not fill the whole tank full. anything over 5 lbs in that size tank will increase the pressure
As long as there is CO2 in both liquid and gas form in it the only thing that changes the pressure is temperature. wikipedia link

And doesn't bottoms hold methane?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
You could weigh the tank and subtract the tare weight that is stamped on the tank to see how much CO2 is in there. With an aluminum tank you ought to be able to tell the difference between 10+tare and 20+tare weight easily anyway.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m8e View Post
As long as there is CO2 in both liquid and gas form in it the only thing that changes the pressure is temperature. wikipedia link

And doesn't bottoms hold methane?
While you are correct that co2 is influenced by temperature greatly as are all liquids/gasses that alone is not the only thing. The pressure that is already applied and how condensed it is also matters. This is the issue with an overfill of a tank.

Sun Sun pimp #72
RAOK CLUB # 68

Conway
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 06:12 PM
m8e
Planted Member

{{Citation needed}}

The issue with overfilling a tank is the density/volume change of the CO2 liquid. ie when the temperature goes up the liquid take up more space and if it goes up to much there will finaly be no more gas(and no liquid/vapor equilibrium), and right after that point either the pressure will go up to infinity or the bottle will explode.

20.56C = 0.7639 g/cm3 (1.309 cm3/g)
30.00C = 0.5992 g/cm3 (1.668 cm3/g)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 07:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

yes. very very true

but if u add more liquid volume than a tank is designed to hold. its pressure will also increase otherwise we'd put 100lbs in a 5lb bottle to save space

Sump Pimp #7

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode