New and I have questions on Dwarf Grass - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New and I have questions on Dwarf Grass

Since I have been told that HC is super delicate and hard to grow, I have decided to sway against it. Instead, i'm thinking of Dwarf Grass because I really want a "carpet" in my tank.

With this said, does Dwarf Grass need special lighting or can they survive with low lighting? The bulb I have is a 15w 120v. If not, then what kind of lighting do I need to buy in order for them to survive?

Also, does Dwarf Grass need CO2 or can I get by without it?

Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Mike Hawk
how big is the tank? I currently have DHG in my tank i like how fast it grows in high light.I have read it can live in low light but it will not grow as fast. it also will not be as green or grow as dense in low light. One thing i have grown to dislike is how easly it grows algae on the stems. the high surface area makes it so algae loves it so anytime your tank has a parameter shift and algae attacks it gets covered.

Co2 is not a must but DIY Co2 goes a very very long way in growth. Fine grit sand capping eco-compete or Miracle Grow Organic Choice is a good substrate for the grass to grow. DHG will grow in common gravel with MGOC or Eco under it but it does not look as good or get very dencse.

Last thing, keep the grass trimmed under 2 inches to get it to spread out faster. it loves to be trimmed.

Edit somewhatshocked is right. i read that you only have sand as you substrate root fertilizer is going to be a must. osmacote plus is very good and cheap just put a bunch on them into a gel cap size 00 (get off 3bay). then put the packed gel caps by the roots 1 inch down every 3in diameter where you have plants.

Be the change you want to see in the world. -Gandhi

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, Give a man a bank and he can rob the world. -Unknown
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 12:03 AM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
It'll grow pretty well in lower light situations as long as you provide good root fertilization for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My tank is 20 gallons, sorry I forgot to mention that.
The substrate I have now is just white sand, can DHG grow in white sand?
And what do you mean by algae attacking? Sorry... it's probably obvious but I don't catch on fast (:

Thanks.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 12:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I suggest you go with Dwarf Hairgrass Belem. it grows shorter than DHG and creates an amazing carpet. I think Nilocg sells them, not sure.
It grows much better with Co2 and high light.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 02:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (28/100%)
Yeast CO2 is VERY cheap and works great. You can also get compact fluorescent lighting fixtures and bulbs for cheap as well to provide a higher light. Root tabs are cheap as well and go a long way. I use all 3 in my tank and my plants go crazy.

RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 03:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I grew it with no c02 but the light was pretty high so algae became a problem.

-Mike
Mini-M Journal:

Mini-M Journal 2:
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 04:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I left a response on this in your other thread.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode