Return pump? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Return pump?

Any downside for not having sump return pump in the middle of the sump, rather than on the right or left side. my pump always seems running out of water never had this problem with my old sUmp when it was in the middle

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
baffle design?
is there enough water in the system total??

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yes has ton water, I have foam right before the pump. Maybe that the problem. Or need to turn pump down. Baffle 3 been removed. Right filter socks, 2nd chamber bio bale, 3rd bioballs heater, 4th is foam then pump.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I just don't see how if there is enough water in the system its not making it to ur pump. if it wasn't draining fast enough. it would just overflow the top of the tank. if there is enough water it should just overflowing the baffle or underflowing if that's the case and be returned. are u sucking up bubbles sometimes then?

a picture is worth a thousand words

Sump Pimp #7

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
If the sump is running dry the pump is moving more water to the tank then the tank is returning. With a well tuned system the tank and sump should stay at a fairly constant level minus evaporation.

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So it sounds like I just need to tune it a bit more so it balances, and don't need to move the pump.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Excuse the mess in the stand, I still need to clean up and mickey mouse bucket works perfect for slight drip I have in a union that I need to replace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120503_175153.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	46787  

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

if the water isn't close to the rim of the tank. i'd add more just based off that picture. if the tank stays full and the sump does not fill up at all. then ur pump is pushing more than ur drain can handle

Sump Pimp #7

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The tank is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch from the top, bit higher than I would like it. When the pump off, the sump fills up. I am thinking you are right just need to turn the flow down on the pump and see how it goes? I was also thinking about adding bio bale where the foam is since I have 2 extra bags still.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 07:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
You issuse is that the return area of your sump is much too small.

In other words, the amount of water needed to be pumped to the display tank for the overflow in the tank to function properly is greater than the amount of water the return area can hold. This causes the return area to empty, and your pump run dry.

As an example, take a look at this manufacturer's sump (offsite link) - http://www.superskimmer.com/48_Sump.htm

Note that the return area on the right, is about 1/2 the entire sump. It's true that this is a sump specifically designes for a reef system and in that application, that return area may have other things in it and the flow through it tends to be much greater that what is typically used for a planted tank, but you get the idea.

I think you best long term solution would be to rebuild your sump, making the return area larger. You might want to use either a larger tank or two tanks for the sump to get in every feature you want.

You could restrict the flow from the return pump, but that's going to be counter productive, and the water level in your main tank will be a bit lower.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
You issuse is that the return area of your sump is much too small.

In other words, the amount of water needed to be pumped to the display tank for the overflow in the tank to function properly is greater than the amount of water the return area can hold. This causes the return area to empty, and your pump run dry.

As an example, take a look at this manufacturer's sump (offsite link) - http://www.superskimmer.com/48_Sump.htm

Note that the return area on the right, is about 1/2 the entire sump. It's true that this is a sump specifically designes for a reef system and in that application, that return area may have other things in it and the flow through it tends to be much greater that what is typically used for a planted tank, but you get the idea.

I think you best long term solution would be to rebuild your sump, making the return area larger. You might want to use either a larger tank or two tanks for the sump to get in every feature you want.

You could restrict the flow from the return pump, but that's going to be counter productive, and the water level in your main tank will be a bit lower.
ugh, that not good. I just built this sump about 2 weeks ago to replace my old one. since the tank is fully stocked, with 100's of dollars worth of fish, I don't think rebuilding the sump is an option since I am not sure what I would do for the 48 hours it would take to let it dry. now I am not sure what to do. As far as larger tank, that the biggest tank that will fit under my stand, it 38 gallons. I have to put it in from the front, no side door, so I don't have much room to work with. 40, 50 or 55 won't fit.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

What if I were to just take out the last 2 baffle and use foam as my divider? That would be the simplest fix?
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Can u drill holes in the bottom of the baffle to increase flow? I know it would be easy to drill higher up im just thinking to reduce splashing and noise?

U could take that baffle out and add one of those tank dividers that is drilled and slottrd. Make the whole bigger and keep the foam where it is?

Sump Pimp #7

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

What about just moving the pump to the middle section.

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The far left baffle is already 2 inches up from the bottom, could I not just remove this baffle and problem would be solved? Seems like that is my only option or go buy another tank and build another sump. ugh.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode