Question for you Acrylic Builders - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Question for you Acrylic Builders

I am in the process of designing and building my first tank out of acrylic. Yes I have done the pros and cons research and I am excited to try this. I have debated for some time and come to terms with proceeding. This tank will be 175-180 gal (72x24x24, depending on cut tolerance) and hopefully slightly overstocked and moderate to heavily planted.

Since this will be my first acrylic build I plan to take some scrap pieces from the supplier to toy with. My main practice piece will be a new sump for this setup. In mind I have a 135g sump (60x18x30)

Now my question (for assurance) is do you guys think I will be okay constructing this using 3/8" cel cast instead of 1/2". Let me explain. I know from 18"-24" a build calls for 1/2" and over 24" I have to go thicker. Well this is for a tank at full capacity. I plan to run the sump at 58-60% normal use which is about 80 gallons. I also plan to add a emergency over flow in the sump at about 20-22" above water line that will tie into my tank drainage system. With baffles and euro bracing as welded internal support this build seems feasible but I am not sure. The reason for the height being 30" is due to me wanting 14-18" of filtered water below my 6" depth bio ball chamber. See attachment.

The 14-18" of water will give me my intended 20-30% worth of water changing in the sump without dumping the whole tank. I am hoping there could be enough water remaining in the sump to avoid having to re-route or turn off the sump pump as I perform my water changes. What are you guys thoughts....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf new sump02.pdf (7.4 KB, 56 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'll say good luck. Most tank builders start off small. Then a bit bigger, then see how those run for a year, then go bigger, and test, etc. To jump into a 180gal tank with no experience at all, hope it's in a basement near a drain in case something happens.

I've seen lots of people do fine building a 2gal tank, a 5gal tank, 10gal tank, then they get bigger and they break and leak.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (89/100%)
A 30 inch tall sump? How tall is the stand..? And if the sump is remotely located you might be better off (time, cost, etc) to go with a pre-made container.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
+1 for starting out small. I have built two acrylic tanks out of 1/4" cell-cast acrylic. The first was a tiny 5 gal and the second a 47 gal. Both came out fine, but if I had not started out with the 5 gal, I probably would have messed up somewhere!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototyp3 View Post
A 30 inch tall sump? How tall is the stand..? And if the sump is remotely located you might be better off (time, cost, etc) to go with a pre-made container.
I have the stand at 42" (shelf height). Raised 6 inches from what I had at first. I checked everywhere that I could think of for a heavy duty premade container that would fit within my stand measurements with no luck. My best choice is an actual aquarium. The largest glass aquarium that will fit is a standard 75 gallon. My choices for sump location was either underneath, or run plumbing thru the wall into my garage. Problem here is my garage is not a living space. Down here in Texas my garage can be an oven in the summer. I thought about doing a diy small refrigerator chiller for the summer to combat the heat if I placed it there.

Yes I have seen that most start small and work their way up. I am sure those that have broken or leaky tanks are due to the builder and not the material itself. If I was overly cautious and scared of most things that I have constructed, I would have spent thousands of dollars by now buying what someone else has designed and built. I have seen a few people on youtube build acrylic tanks and it looks fairly simply. Easier said than done I know. I don't have the time nor the space to start small just to work my way up. I would hate to break down a tank just to upgrade. I am upgrading now because my 55gal finally broke a seal after 9 years of being setup. For me its all or nothing.

If I fail, which I don't anticipate, then at least I know I tried. My overall build will be over the course of 6-12 months so I have plenty of time for testing and practicing. I plan to leave my tank filled for several months while sitting outside under my covered patio to check for leaks. If I succeed with my sump, I know I can do the big tank that will be more expensive. If my sump doesn't go as planned, I won't attempt the main tank and will just buy a glass one. I can then use the attempted sump as a toy box or something.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Stand design is attached. I got the design from the web that has been used by many. I modified it for extra supports for an acrylic tank. It will be surround by 3/4 ply to further strengthen the stand.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf stand.pdf (13.2 KB, 53 views)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 12:42 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
Well, good luck, and let us know how it goes!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
Build a separate bio ball chamber to sit on top of a part of a lower height sump. The reason to go thick is to stop the bowing. I would think you should be fine with 3/8 with bracing and baffles..

John

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp2 View Post
Build a separate bio ball chamber to sit on top of a part of a lower height sump. The reason to go thick is to stop the bowing. I would think you should be fine with 3/8 with bracing and baffles..
You know I was going to do just this if I was going to use my 55g as my sump. But I knew I wanted a bigger sump. Well I found a suitable tank on craigslist and just today I picked it up. A brand new never used custom 90gal (60.5x18.25x19 1/2glass) for only $125 from a sweet older couple.

This cuts down cost on acrylic. I can get my practice on acrylic from the chamber build and scrap pieces from the supplier. A separate chamber will maximize my volume for sure. I will sketch up this new tank to find my needs. But thank you jjp2 for answering my O.P. I needed assurance for the build, not persuasion not to build it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode