"Beginner Red Plants?" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
"Beginner Red Plants?"

Hello everybody, I was just wondering what would be considered a "beginner" red plant. I have a 29 gallon tank with 48 watts t-5 ho lighting via an Aquatic life fixture. The light is mounted to the rim of the tank using the supplied legs. I used pressurized co2 and started dosing EI dry ferts.

some plants that interest me are:
Alternanthera reineckii 'rosaefolia'
Ammania gracilis
ludiwigia "red"
maybe some rotalas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Don't start with the Ammannia, it is a tough plant to grow! Persicaria [Polygonum] sp. might work though. Both are quite a large growing plant for a 29 gallon tank however. Ammannia well grown has a stem-leaf width of about 8". Mine is feeling poorly and is about 6" across and my fairly happy Persicaria Kawagoeanum is about 5" across.

I haven't grown Alternanthera but Rotalas and Ludwigia should work fine for you. Ludwigia 'Red' has grown out very well for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hi. MMF, I agree with Kathy. My first red plant was a red ludwigia and its responding very well to liquid ferts 110watt T5ho and co2 in a 55 gallon! I see no problem with your setup for that plant not to thrive. Many people have reported keeping Nymphaea rubra in moderate/low tech setups with success and their really red too!! Also if your feeling confident enough give rotala rotundifolia a shot! It will show deeper reds in higher light but still looks great in lower light setups! Good luck with your search, hope We can help!

"One generation plants the tree, the next generation gets the shade"

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
the red tiger lotus is probably the easiest.
many people say that ludwiga repens is a very easy redish plant. but for some reason i cant keep it alive, even when planted next to my thriving erios.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I have red melon sword, its has a redish purle tint to it.

I highly recommend alternanthera awesome plant. You can trim it above leaf nodes and it will bush out. Check out my Walstad shrimp bowls to see it growing right out of the bowl.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
REPENS, is not a good red plant for beinngers. it needs LIGHT
plain ol ludwigia however is a differnet story it grows red just about anywhere

Sump Pimp #7

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
the op has a 48 watt t5 ho and injects CO2, is this not enough for Repens?

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

depends on the reflectors. i had 72 with coralifes o nthe tank of my 29. barely turned pinkish touching the suface of the water
i have 96watts wit ha tek hung about 11 inches over the tank and it'll get red if it touches the surface of the water

when i used 48 wats with the tek 3 inches above the surface. it turned red 4 inches from the surface of the water

it depends on how much light actually makes it to the plant

Sump Pimp #7

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
My very first red plant was the A reineckii so I would definitely suggest it.
I also currently have sunset hygro, not necessary red, but displays a nice pink color.
And my last recommendation is Limnophila aromatica. These can turn a nice purple-reddish color.
I have all 3 in my tank, no CO2 and they look pretty good. You wouldn't have any problem with them with your setup imo.

"Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened"
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 11:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
My first red plant was a nymphae rhubra. I like them lots!
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 09:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Alternanthera reineckii 'rosaefolia'
Limnophila aromatica
Dwarf Red Lilly
Tiger Lotus

These are all easy and will even grow well in a low tech mid light set up easy.

And I agree with Blazing wolf on the Repens.. Needs lots of light.

Sun Sun pimp #72
RAOK CLUB # 68

Conway
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
I'm a little confused by this --what do you mean by "repens" and what do you mean by "plain ol ludwigia" ? When I hear "plain ol ludwigia" I think of Ludwigia repens.

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Ludwigia Repens Shot from my tank

Ludwigia

in the ludwigia shot. u can see the repens in the background. repens is basically "broadleaf"

Sump Pimp #7

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the replies! It seems like alternanthera is the way to go!
I have had ludwigia repens previously, It grew very well but only had pink undersides. The only reason I got rid of it was a temporary loss of sanity one day during cleaning!

I might also look into ludwigia "red" and the l. aromatica.

I will keep everybody posted as I am hoping to do some rescaping soon!
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I love the red ludwigia Blazingwolf!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode