A question.. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
A question..

So, I see a lot of over filtration. Make no mistake, I'm a fan of over filtration, I see no problem with it, I do it myself on some tanks.

I also see arguments that planted tanks have high water quality, not arguing, plants use the nutrients blah blah etc.

My question is, why, If planted tanks produce such high quality water, is there over filtration? People have nice large canister filters on small tanks that have a lot of plants. Cannies are expensive, and it seems unneeded if, plants keep the water quality high.

I am NOT looking to argue, so don't take my questions as an argument and don't try and argue with me,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I personally dont have a canister filter. But I do over filter.
A canister filter is in the future for me lol..
My reasoning would be.. Why not?
Might as well...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldachleich View Post
I personally dont have a canister filter. But I do over filter.
A canister filter is in the future for me lol..
My reasoning would be.. Why not?
Might as well...
The why not in my opinion is cost versus the need. If its not needed, why spend it?

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I suppose I'm just loose with money.
I don't really have anything holding me back mentally.
I'll spend it anyway..because of "Why not?"...

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

Filtration

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWA View Post
So, I see a lot of over filtration. Make no mistake, I'm a fan of over filtration, I see no problem with it, I do it myself on some tanks.

I also see arguments that planted tanks have high water quality, not arguing, plants use the nutrients blah blah etc.

My question is, why, If planted tanks produce such high quality water, is there over filtration? People have nice large canister filters on small tanks that have a lot of plants. Cannies are expensive, and it seems unneeded if, plants keep the water quality high.

I am NOT looking to argue, so don't take my questions as an argument and don't try and argue with me,
Hello T...

Filtration is absolutely necessary, but if you follow an aggressive water change routine by changing out half the tank water weekly, you don't need to over filter your tank.

Filters only take in very toxic water and replace it with water that's a little less toxic. The dirty water has to be removed and replaced with pure, treated tap water.

If you flush a lot of clean water through the tank, then the filters are just filtering water that's already clean. I change half the water weekly and haven't tested the chemistry in years. The reason is if you change large volumes of water every week there's no time for pollutants to build up in the tank.

Pretty simple.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
Many people overfilter - especially in planted tanks that are heavily fertilized - so there's less risk to expensive livestock like shrimp and fancy fish.

It's a bit of added insurance.

And some people - like myself - use filters that are more powerful or larger than necessary for the benefit of added flow.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello T...

Filtration is absolutely necessary, but if you follow an aggressive water change routine by changing out half the tank water weekly, you don't need to over filter your tank.

Filters only take in very toxic water and replace it with water that's a little less toxic. The dirty water has to be removed and replaced with pure, treated tap water.

If you flush a lot of clean water through the tank, then the filters are just filtering water that's already clean. I change half the water weekly and haven't tested the chemistry in years. The reason is if you change large volumes of water every week there's no time for pollutants to build up in the tank.

Pretty simple.

B
I'm.. Very very aware of why you filter, what they do and all that, that's not my question.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Many people overfilter - especially in planted tanks that are heavily fertilized - so there's less risk to expensive livestock like shrimp and fancy fish.

It's a bit of added insurance.

And some people - like myself - use filters that are more powerful or larger than necessary for the benefit of added flow.
Filters don't remove fertilizers do they? No way?

I like the added flow answer; that's what I'm looking for.

So far we've got, being loose with money (no problem there, If you got it, spend it)

A reason as to why filters are needed..

And added flow, which is a completely legitimate answer and what I feel I should be hearing. A reason on why we use a larger than needed filter even though we keep plants that will "keep our water high quality."
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
added flow and, more importantly, controlled flow.
with my ehiems i can direct the flow wherever i want, and i can control the strength. that is vital to meeting plants' CO2 needs. it does not matter how much CO2 you are adding if you dont have the flow required to have it wash over the plants' foliage.
also, IME, the best method of adding CO2 into the water is with an inline diffuser. im yet to figure out how to get one of those onto an aquaclear.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
when i got back into this hobby, it over filtered my 29gal. which thought would help protect my fish from ammonia spikes as i didn't cycle my tank before adding fish.

now i that i have some idea of what i am doing i over filter for flow (offf), and also to help keep the sand looking clean. the extra flow moves the poop, and dead leaves into the small crevices and the back of the tank where you can't see it.

Will

on Facebook.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think in the interest of helping distribute nutrient's,CO2 (if applicable), the higher flow rates help.
In high energy tank's with CO2 injection where growth is much faster, tank's can eventually become victim's of their own success.
Growth becomes dense much quicker, and to get consistent flow which helps distribute said nutrient's and CO2,, the extra flow helps along with much more frequent pruning,trimming.
In low energy tank's ( Non CO2,low light,low tech) the growth and uptake by plant's is considerably slower, so the increased flow is not too terribly important for even distribution of CO2 such as it is in CO2 enhanced aquariums .
This is my take on it.
I use increased flow to keep particulates in water column longer as opposed to letting them settle on substrate in non planted tank's.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 05:40 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
1 for flow and circulation in my tank
2 with the canister i can have an inline heater and co2 reactor (less hardware in the tank)
3 to pull larger debris out of the tank, i dont like seeing pieces of plants and such floating around in my tank. I want clear water, really helps after a water change.
4 with the added flow it helps disperse my ferts when i dose
all of these though are simply personal prefrence
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
I use a canister for aesthetic purposes. Less equipment in the tank, and the lily pipes are attractive. I also use a canister for flow purposes and good distribution of nutrients and CO2. Part of the tank not getting good circulation? Adjust the lily pipe. Problem solved. When I ran Emperors on larger tanks, my only choice was to get power heads if I was seeing dead spots. That's yet another piece of equipment with a big black cord hanging inside the tank. No bueno for a nice rimless, minimalist tank.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 06:10 PM
s_s
Algae Grower

Mostly because it isn't questioned.

And I'll save you a lot of time and anguish here: it isn't questioned because it doesn't matter. This is a hobby forum and few people feel the need to make much fuss over a couple hundred dollars here or there, simply because it is enjoyable for them. And their enjoyment creates something of a positive feedback loop where those with the deepest pockets have the most fun.

This isn't just true here, it's true at all sorts of hobby forums. Maybe the worst is hifi audio.

Anyways, there's always more appropriate places for pure scientific discourse, if that's what you are looking for. Take whatever knowledge you can glean from here and add the appropriate sized grain of salt. Trial and error can be fun, let us know whatever you find out.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)
i use canisters for less unsightly equipment in tank. run a inline heater and co2. costwise, my canister was cheaper than some of my other equipment ...

edit: it would be cool if there was an inline drop checker for the intake tube lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode