How long till plants take root? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How long till plants take root?

my new 5 gal iwagumi! planted just about 3 days ago! how long do you think i should wait before adding critters? i want to wait until the plants start taking root so they won't get knocked out of place. i'm planing on maybe 7 tetras, 2 ghost shrimp and 2 oto catfish. you think that might be overdoing it for a 5 gal?

let me know what you think!

http://instagr.am/p/KHfXeDp6Z8/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 08:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Those fauna won't uproot your plants but a bigger concern is making sure your tank is fully cycled. Don't add any fauna until it is so (if you go the fishless cycling route which I would recommend). Adding just 2 otos would be a start but give it some more time, maybe two weeks.

I like the tank, not too crazy about the background image though. Nice driftwood in there, should give the shrimps a nice place to hide.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yes, i'm pretty exited about the drift wood, it has a front entrance and a back perfect for me shrimps. the background image is just there to block out the sun, my tank's placed right next to a window so i want to give it a little shade. u sure the tetras won't go sniffing around unrooting the plants? they're just barely hanging on in there... i afraid...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 01:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Most Tetras are not digging fish, and the littlest of fish that you would select for that small a tank do not have enough body mass to disturb the plants.
Add a little ammonia to get started on the fishless cycle while you are waiting. By the time the fishless cycle is done the plants will be well rooted.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 07:03 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I am far from an expert on the subject, but I can tell you through my own painful experience with my 5 gallon that 7 tetras will make it rough to keep your ammonia level down especially with a newer tank. I can testify to the fact that they dont disturb plants though. Another side note, you may want to get a prefilter for that intake or your shrimp might end up living in your filter.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
You should be waiting quite a while and I think a 5 gal is far to small for that high of a bio load...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode