Will my tank bow when its full? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Will my tank bow when its full?

Im setting up a used 55 gallon I bought cheap. I have an oversized counter top piece made of 1/2 plywood I got free.

My problem is that my counter top that I want to place my tank on has bowed slightly. So there is a 1/16 inch gap between the bottom of my tank and the top of the counter top.

Do you think the glass will bow slightly when its full to compensate or do you think I will have a problem if I use it?

I certainly dont want a mess.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Take it outside on a lawn or something, fill it up, and find out. Done and done. No one here knows your tank so you have to do try it out.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
A piece of foam under the tank will even it out. The glass won't bow, no. It will probably hold, but you really shouldnt do it as it's asking for trouble. I have a 55 on a shelf and I can see clear under the middle of the tank. I've got to get around to taking it down. I bet if it didn't have the trim it would be leaking by now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgd View Post
A piece of foam under the tank will even it out. The glass won't bow, no. It will probably hold, but you really shouldnt do it as it's asking for trouble. I have a 55 on a shelf and I can see clear under the middle of the tank. I've got to get around to taking it down. I bet if it didn't have the trim it would be leaking by now.
Thanks. Foam sounds like it would work. I tried some thick cardboard but it didnt seem like it was going to work.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 11:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Not good when the shelf bows. Tanks are made to be supported along their full length. With that small a bow, try the Styrofoam, that is what I use.
Another option is to turn the plywood upside down. Then the bow would be a crown, and I'll bet that would flatten out under the weight of the tank.
Another option is to put more brackets under the shelf so it is supported in the middle.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 12:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
the glass will bow when full. all tanks glass bows to a certain extent. but the glass bows OUT, not DOWN.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 12:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Are you sure your counter can hold >500lbs of weight? I would not trust any counters in my house to hold that weight.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
If you are talking about the bottom of the tank bowing, which some here don't seem to catch, then no, it will not bow, or if it does, it will rip the silicone bond and create a wet disaster.

Never ever put a 55 gal tank on a too thin piece of bowing plywood. Don't. You can do/try that sort of thing with a 10 gal tank.

Get a proper stand, or reinforce what you have. 2x4's are cheap, and there is always someone around who has woodworking skills and no project to apply them to.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 12:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to jcgd
Quote:
Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post
the glass will bow when full. all tanks glass bows to a certain extent. but the glass bows OUT, not DOWN.
Exactly. Your front and back panes aren't going to bow down. If if your bottom pane does while the front and back don't (won't) you get a nice empty tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode