New to live plants! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to live plants!

Hi, I'm new to live plants. I've had 5 different bettas, but I've never tried live plants, always been afraid to kill them, lol.

Now I'm going to be getting a 55 gallon tank, and I want to have live plants in it! So my questions are:

Can Java Fern, Anubias Petite Nana, Wendtii Red, and Amazon Swords all grow together? What requirements do these plants have? I'm not very exprienced with anything in home aquariums other than bettas.

What can you tell me about those four plants? Are there others that would be better? It's going to be a tropical tank. The temperature is going to have to be around 75-80 degrees F at all times.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 03:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Those are good starter plants since they don't need high light. You can use sand, gravel, or a nutrient rich substrate. The crypt and sword are heavy root feeders so root tabs in an inert substrate like gravel or sand is a plus. The java fern and anubias feed more out of the water column.

-Mike
Mini-M Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini-M Journal 2:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 03:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Those are fine choices for a planted tank, probably none better for looks, versatility and durability. My A. nana [not petit] and wendtii have been with me for a decade now! The crypt and sword prefer a nutritious substrate - stick a root tab under them every couple months. The Anubias and Java fern look great tied to wood or in crevices between rocks. They need to have their rhizomes exposed to the water, not covered by gravel or sand.

River Bank

MOP* Nano

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 11:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I agree with radioman and Kathyy
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 11:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Welcome to the money pit!

Tags
amazon swords, anubias nana petite, java fern, new to live plants, wendtii red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode