Transporting planted tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Transporting planted tank?

Hello, quick question.
School is finishing up in a few weeks and I'm going to need to bring my 10g tank home. This might be a dumb question, but is moving a planted tank any different than a non planted?

I know to drain the water and keep the filter wet, etc. Should I keep my driftwood and river rocks in the tank itself or should I keep them in my bucket with the water or will they be okay to stay in the tank?

10g Planted Community Tank| Otocinclus, Red Cherry Shrimp, Tiger Nerite Snail, Assassin Snail, MTS
5.5g Planted Tank | Betta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 08:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

With it just being 10 gallons, I'd just drain the water, put it on a piece of composite to keep it flat to move it.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I was planning on Cutting out a side of the original box and just sliding it in, then reselling the box and carrying it out with my Dad

10g Planted Community Tank| Otocinclus, Red Cherry Shrimp, Tiger Nerite Snail, Assassin Snail, MTS

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)
I would take out the river rocks and the driftwood if it's sharp.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
10gal shouldn't be too tough to move. I've had to move my 30gal back and forth to school a couple times and it is somewhat of a pain. I just explained on another thread how I did it. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...-aquarium.html Hope that helps give you some ideas. Compared to what I have to go through to move my tank, I'm sure a 10gal shouldn't give you much trouble at all. I probably wouldn't even worry about taking the substrate out, just drain the water and take out any large river rocks or driftwood. I moved a non-planted 10gal last year which my sister is now keeping. It really wasn't difficult at all.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 10:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ditto: Take out the heavy things like rocks. A not-very-deep layer of sand or gravel is OK, but if you have any question about weight, remove this, too.
Get help if needed, keep from twisting the tank when you lift it. Keep it level.
A 10 is a lot easier to handle than a larger tank.

On the other hand, if you had plans to redo the tank, this is a good excuse.

Nitrifying bacteria need humidity, they do not have to be under water. They need oxygen. If the move is less than 1 hour, I would put the filter media in a plastic bag to keep it damp. Or if it is in a canister filter, leave it there. If it is more than an hour I would put it in a larger container with some water and plenty of air. (Sort of like moving the fish: the air is the important part!)

Most plants can be moved by keeping them damp, for example between wet paper towels. If you are leaving them in the tank the leaves can dry out. Some plants are worse than others for this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 11:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Everything depends on how long the drive is
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The drive is between 1-1.5 hours. I'll probably take my wisteria out but the rest of my plants are pretty low to the ground so they will probably be okay if I leave them in.

I'll definitely take out my large rocks and driftwood. I just hope the anubias I have tied to them don't fall off or break.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You could put saran wrap over the top to keep moisture in the tank if you want to keep all your plants planted in place.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixella View Post
You could put saran wrap over the top to keep moisture in the tank if you want to keep all your plants planted in place.

Yeah this is what I would do. Also get a spray bottle and once you get water out just mist all the plants well and seal it up. That short of a drive shouldn't hurt anything.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

That's a great idea! thanks everyone

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 01:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwavepc.com View Post
Yeah this is what I would do. Also get a spray bottle and once you get water out just mist all the plants well and seal it up. That short of a drive shouldn't hurt anything.
Just be sure to mist with dechlorinated water.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 02:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodeye--sniper View Post
I was planning on Cutting out a side of the original box and just sliding it in, then reselling the box and carrying it out with my Dad
I'm doing the same thing so the bottom is supported when I am putting it in the box.

-Mike
Mini-M Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini-M Journal 2:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode