farm tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
farm tanks

For all of you who have, are going to, or have thought about keeping a farm tank (or 10); what do you think the proportions of the farm tank should be in relation to your main display?

My thought on the purpose of a farm tank is to allow us to indulge in the collectoritis we all do, or soon will suffer from while keeping the main display uncluttered. This allows plants to be rotated in and out during rescapes and provides an area to grow out decent amounts of materials, provide trading fodder etc.

My thought lately is that a surface area of 2-3x the main display, with a height of at least 12" would be ideal. So, for example, a 40b farm tank would be a good match to a 20 high or 60p display tank. I would be tempted to put a sump on it as a place to keep rocks and planted driftwood...Ahh, a slippery slope indeed...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 04:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
From someone who spent 11 or 12 years (it's a blur) fully immersed in the saltwater reefkeeping hobby I can only warn you that the slope is not only slippery, it's darn steep.

Since I'm only a few months into coming back to the freshwater/planted tank side of the hobby, I'm barely wet behind the ears and don't feel qualified to lend advice.......Just issue warnings.

Frankly, I see myself headed down the same path.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would love the idea, but space is an issue. I'm guessing with a lot of people to. I've thought about a couple grow out tanks with regards to getting ready for a very large show tank. At first the cost would be pretty high I would guess, if you get into more and more tanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 05:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
It really depends on how many species you want to keep and whether you're using it to stock your display tank(s) or for resale.

I have a 55g "farm" in my basement that i keep half full of water and light with CFLs. I use it to stock two 55g displays and a two ~10g's. Anything thats well established in the display tanks doesnt need to be farmed. So its mostly slow growing stuff or things I can trade/sell or not sure what to do with...
When I get new plants, I add them to both the farm and display tank as a safeguard in case something goes awry.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkTank View Post
When I get new plants, I add them to both the farm and display tank as a safeguard in case something goes awry.
In my case that would be in case disaster strikes. Frankly, I think this is one of the best reasons to maintain a "propagation tank" for the long-term planning of the hobby.

Similarly, some things come along as very small specimens and need a little more TLC. In this case you could think of it as a nursery of sorts, so that such specimens would have a better chance of survival, or would fit your aquascaping better as a more mature specimen.

If I keep going, I'm sure I can find a dozen more reasons to add more tanks without breaking a sweat.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Would you need a filter on farm tanks or just a power head? Also, would you guys keep algae eating fauna like otos or shrimps in there - kind of like a self sustaining tank where you never need to feed it.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Best collectoritis tank is an emmersed setup. 80% of aquatic plants can be grown emmersed in high humidity. No algae. No c02. No filter. No ferts. Just means the plant has to readjust when put back in water. So it wont fit ur scape immediately, but again its easy to maintain

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Space is my biggest issue with this, but I've found ways to convince myself (and the fiance) on getting more (small) tanks. My main tank is a 20g High and I upgraded from a 10g. I gave her the 10g and we got a small 2.5g QT. This is about as many tanks as I think I'll have for a little while due to space but the 10g was going to be retired as a (large imo) QT and we figured it'd be better to bring it back as a full tank setup again and get a smaller QT

-Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerrey
"Give a man a fish and he will get a bowl, teach a man how to keep fish and he will get a planted tank"
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Planted Member

I suppose you would want the farm tanks visible too or not? I just have 1 clear plastic tote outside with a pump I have left overs in or stuff I havent used yet. I even have stuff in it that I am waiting to see if they are aquatic. Tossed in some ghost shrimp to groom and fertilize. I even have a cypress seedling sitting emergent to see if it will get pissy before I put it in a low bowl I planted recently. I'll probably end up with more totes in the future.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Banned

PTrader: (21/100%)
Emmersed farm tanks are your friend..That is till you tear down almost all of your planted tanks with water in to make more room for emmersed plan setups. To answer your question its always best to go with the biggest you can afford / have room for farm wise. Worse case scenario you end up with way more plants than you can use and that opens the door for trades / selling to get even more (or more expensive) species.

The Fraternity of Dirt #59

RAOK Club #40

Take me to your
Shrimp
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Planted Member

Going to add since I have this shelf unit outside, been using it to hold plants I'm propagating or trying to:

It has raised edges so it can hold a bit of water:

My idea is to enclose each shelf with the frontside being accessable. From what I saw comparable to it at Lowes (or HD forget where) it is a cheap shelving unit.
I have clear vinyl used for what is used to redo sliding window panels in a Floridian room.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusiongt View Post
Would you need a filter on farm tanks or just a power head? Also, would you guys keep algae eating fauna like otos or shrimps in there - kind of like a self sustaining tank where you never need to feed it.
I think you can get by with just some water movement if theres no fauna. I use a sponge filter. I also started adding my shrimp culls recently - just to help keep it clean. Seems to be working so far.

I know emersed setups are no fuss, but lots of plants look pretty different emersed vs submersed. Unless its really fussy, I do everything submersed except for foregrounds (cause its quicker and they look the same either way).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode