HELP: proposed bathroom tank! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
HELP: proposed bathroom tank!

i've drawn the following very-not-in-scale diagram to help you understand my predicament (don't worry, i wrote in the measurements that matter actually except one- distance from the edge of the wall where the outlet is to the middle of the mirrors is ~3.5-4')

okay, here goes.
i've wanted a second tank for a while now, and i decided the world's most convenient place for one was in my bathroom.
the space is there, it's close to my room, it's super convenient for water changes... what more could i ask for?
but...wait! no. there's only one power outlet!
and there's a sink between it and where i want to put my tank.

so the issues/questions:
  1. where do i put the power strip? there's room for a decent-sized shelf above the power outlet, i could do that... or there might be room for a tiny shelf between the mirror and the counter. or i could put it between the wall with the outlet and the left sink. but would the cord be long enough to reach?
  2. how do i run the wiring so it doesn't get wet? i've considered a plastic tunnel made out of bent sheeting and/or cut pieces of plastic boxes. is this ridiculous?
  3. how do i protect the power strip from getting wet? i don't usually splash water on the proposed areas, except for between the sink and the mirror, but freak accidents happen...
  4. WHERE DO I PUT MY TOOTHBRUSH!?!? not really.
  5. should i just give up and put it somewhere infinitely less convenient?

EDIT: the tank IS a ten gallon that i'll be getting from a friend sometime soon, so there's no question in where it has to go. sorry for any confusion!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 01:49 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
+1 for the drawings :P

I could possibly see a 2 1/2g mini-tank on the shelf above the outlet.

Quote:
“How is it that nature does this so effortlessly, while our tanks constantly teeter on the brink of eutrophic pollution (like EI) or apocalyptic famine (like PPS/Sears & Conlin)?”
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relativistic View Post
+1 for the drawings :P

I could possibly see a 2 1/2g mini-tank on the shelf above the outlet.
nah, it's gonna be a ten gallon...like i'm already set to get the tank from a friend, it's just not here yet and i need to figure out where i should put it.
i totally need to put that in my first post. xD

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 01:52 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Do you own the house? If so just make hole big enough to run plugs thru the counter and tapinto the outlets wiring and put a new outlet under the cabinet.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfyn View Post
Do you own the house? If so just make hole big enough to run plugs thru the counter and tapinto the outlets wiring and put a new outlet under the cabinet.
i/my family owns the house, yeah, but i'm 10000000000% sure my parents would never let me do that :'D...
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/98%)
no don't do it!! lol.

I mean you can but thats a terrible place to enjoy a fish tank. I mean your only gonna enjoy it when you do your business or your basically never gonna leave the bathroom

I'm not a doctor in real life but I play one on this forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 01:58 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Something to think of, that occurred to me when I looked at the plan.

Are you or someone that uses the bathroom either female or a heavy user of hair products or has a beard? If so, where are you when you use said products, and what products are they?

Not that you should answer the questions on the forum, but is something to think of. Insomuch as when it comes to hair styling, beard shaving, and etc, more flings around (chemical and hair wise) than you'd think. And some of it you might not want in the tank. Hell, there's a good bit of spray we don't see that occurs just from brushing teeth.

Second consideration: Some hairdryers get crazy and flip breakers in bathroom outlets.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 01:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)
If you have a background on the tank, you can nail a few 2x4's together and make a platform. as a picture is worth a thousand words;

Edit: make it higher than the tank and run a power strip to the platform

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 02:01 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Firstly, is the original outlet a GFCI outlet? If not, do not, under any circumstances, even consider the bathroom as a tank environment.

If it is, then you have plenty of setup options. What I would suggest is to remove the sheetrock for 3-4" in a horizontal strip, around the corner, from the outlet to behind where the tank would go, and put an outlet there. Once you have an outlet directly behind the tank location, you can put a strip wherever you'd like. Figure it out from there.

If you aren't willing or able to DIY it, hire an electrician. If you can't afford one, then it's easy - find another room for the tank. Really. No, seriously, electricity is not something to screw around with. If you aren't sure what you're doing, and you can't afford someone who *is* sure, then it's a no-brainer - do it somewhere else.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 02:01 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Ok I would say get a heavy duty ex cord w/o the female end. Run it thru idk plastic conduit seal both ends with silicone. Then if you're up to it rewire a powerstrip with your cord. Then get a decent thickness plastic container with alid or top you can close tight. Make holes for cords and use some sort of dense rubber foam at the holes to act as grommets/seals. But do this at your own risk. It would be easier and safer to just do some renovation IMO.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
no don't do it!! lol.

I mean you can but thats a terrible place to enjoy a fish tank. I mean your only gonna enjoy it when you do your business or your basically never gonna leave the bathroom
i was planning on never leaving the bathroom :l
but not really, just stepping in there every time i pass it, which is often since it's on the way to/from my room.
you actually can't see the proposed tank area from when you're sitting on the toilet, unless the door's open :P

Quote:
Are you or someone that uses the bathroom either female or a heavy user of hair products or has a beard? If so, where are you when you use said products, and what products are they?
i've considered this. i'm female, but i don't use hairspray/detangler really ever. i used to use a conditioning spray, but it wasn't really doing me much good and i stopped. so not an issue.

Quote:
If you have a background on the tank, you can nail a few 2x4's together and make a platform. as a picture is worth a thousand words;
i like that! i'll see if it's not possible. the obstacle to that would be the mirrors, i'd have to make a sort of cabinet behind the tank. actually, that's an idea- a small cabinet/stand set behind the tank... HMM.

Quote:
Firstly, is the original outlet a GFCI outlet? If not, do not, under any circumstances, even consider the bathroom as a tank environment.
yeah, it is.
you don't think there are any other options that wouldn't involve mutilating/drilling through/cutting out parts of the counter? i'm sure my parents wouldn't let me do that, but i'm also sure they'd let me put any number of bolts in the walls for shelving.

Quote:
Ok I would say get a heavy duty ex cord w/o the female end. Run it thru idk plastic conduit seal both ends with silicone. Then if you're up to it rewire a powerstrip with your cord. Then get a decent thickness plastic container with alid or top you can close tight. Make holes for cords and use some sort of dense rubber foam at the holes to act as grommets/seals. But do this at your own risk. It would be easier and safer to just do some renovation IMO.
hmm. that could work. probably would be easier/safer, but A: we don't really have the money/B: i think my parents are pretty against anything that could potentially decrease the resale value of the house. except for bolts in the walls apparently, because there's already a bunch in my room...
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 02:26 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I wouldnt put it there. Too much soap, cleaning products flying around they would affect the critter in the tank.

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
I wouldnt put it there. Too much soap, cleaning products flying around they would affect the critter in the tank.
i'd agree with you if anybody ever cleaned my bathroom...
only products ever used in that area are non-antibacterial hand soap, toothpaste, and hand lotion. when i do clean the counter, it's usually with a damp paper towel only. the tank will have a lid so i'm not really worried about any of those getting into the tank. if i used a lot of sprays, like someone else mentioned, then i wouldn't even think about it.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 02:31 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
It's not the counter you'd be cutting through. It's the wall. The vast majority of walls are constructed of simple sheetrock, or, possibly (if the house is old) plaster. Sheetrock is designed to be chopped apart and rejoined, with anything, easily. All it needs is some more sheetrock - or anything else - at the same thickness. To cover it all up, you use joint compound ("mud") which is dirt cheap. And then you repaint or re-wallpaper the repair job.

The only real stumbling block is the fact that studs go vertically every 16" or 24" (older or commercial) on center. Which means that you'd have to drill a horizontal hole through all the affected studs to pull the cable through. Again, a licensed electrician is ideal, and if you're still not sure, again, find another room.

Heavy duty 3-prong extension cords will do the trick, of course. But they'll be an eyesore. A tank in the bathroom is a rare sight, worthy of pics. And there are several very good reasons for that.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
It's not the counter you'd be cutting through. It's the wall. The vast majority of walls are constructed of simple sheetrock, or, possibly (if the house is old) plaster. Sheetrock is designed to be chopped apart and rejoined, with anything, easily. All it needs is some more sheetrock - or anything else - at the same thickness. To cover it all up, you use joint compound ("mud") which is dirt cheap. And then you repaint or re-wallpaper the repair job.

The only real stumbling block is the fact that studs go vertically every 16" or 24" (older or commercial) on center. Which means that you'd have to drill a horizontal hole through all the affected studs to pull the cable through. Again, a licensed electrician is ideal, and if you're still not sure, again, find another room.

Heavy duty 3-prong extension cords will do the trick, of course. But they'll be an eyesore. A tank in the bathroom is a rare sight, worthy of pics. And there are several very good reasons for that.
maybe another room would be best then, there's way too many obstacles to this. and i still don't think my parents would be to keen on the wall being cut through. now to figure out where...
wonder if i could cram a tank on my bookshelf somewhere? :'D

thanks for all your advice :>

Tags
bathroom tank, power strip, water danger, wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode