Please, help my HC grow, it cost me soo much! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile Please, help my HC grow, it cost me soo much!

Howdy, I have a 10 gallon tank, and I'm trying to grow Dwarf Baby Tears. This is what I got...
-10 gallon tank
-Eheim 2213
-Aqueaon NO t5 28 watt
-Aquatek co2 regulator
- Hagen Elite mini filter for co2 diffusion

Ok, I supplied some photos(used cell phone, I'm saving for new cam), and they get the point across. My main questions are...

-Did I plant these in the substrate correctly. I kinda got stressed and started shoving clumps into substrate with tongs. From the pics, do they look like they'll make it?
-Will my mesh wall fill up eventually?
-Is my lighting sufficient?
-What type of fertilizer should I get(I have some root tabs)?
-How many hours to keep lights on?
-Also, I understand some people start these emersed(correct spelling?), will I be fine if I supply all the right stuff the way I am?
-oh yah, I might pass on a heater, do you think I need one?
Btw I think my tank looks better in person, I need a new camera. thhhaaaannnkkkkkkksssssssss!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	close-up.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	46356  

Name:	wholetank.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	46357  

Name:	Mesh Wall.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	46358  

Name:	equipment.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	46359  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
PLEASE tell me ur hoses don't go UP after they come out of the tank?

its a wonder ur filter is even working

Sump Pimp #7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

HD Blazingwolf... I'm glad you took notice to the tubes from my eheim going up. The reason its like this is because the filter is sitting beside the tank. I just set it up, and it came without instructions. Maybe you could add some helpful advice as to how it should be set up, or even better, maybe you can help with the original question. I really need some advice thanks.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
Canister filters are designed to work when they are placed well below the water level. You can start by putting it on the floor. I just hope you didn't cut your hoses too short.

-The HC looks fine, just give it time. How long since planting?
-Your moss wall will fill in, but it's moss, so give it time.
-Lighting seems OK to me
-You could try some root tabs, wouldn't hurt
-Try an 8-hour photoperiod to start, then adjust accordingly
-Are you dosing ferts?
-Invest in a heater because these are tropical plants
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Fat Guy In A Little Coat

PTrader: (11/100%)
What substrate is that? Looks like Eco complete. Need to be dosing some ferts if you aren't. Check out the EI dosing sticky thread in the fertilization section of this forum. What type of moss is on your mesh wall? Mosses grow somewhat slow, so it will take some time to fill in your wall. If you don't have a drop checker, I would suggest getting one of those so you can get your co2 dialed in. Start off with a small photoperiod on your lights: 7-8 hours max
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 07:25 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I'm concerned with your tank being in sunlight. I've found that even bright reflected sunlight is the devil when it comes to algae...

Look into managing the tanks nutrients and co2 to good levels. This will be key to good growth and preventing an algae outbreak. Follow the stickies...

I'd start the photo period off at 8 hours and ramp it up to about 10 if the plants are growing well and algae is controlled...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hello, thanks to all with the info.
-the shutters on the window block light during day(in photo, they were kinda open).
-I have Hagen Elite 50watt heater, but this thing is HUGE! There's already a ton of junk in my tank(filter tubes, co2, moss wall), could I get away with a mini hydor heater?
-Is there a specific brand fertilizer I should purchase on Amazon, and do I need to remove carbon insert on filter when dosing fertilizer?
-I think its Java Moss
-
Thank you
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Dope! I did cut the tubes on the Eheim too short. Guess I should buy more tubing.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Vincenz, I just planted it.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 08:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
fertilizer is best purchased as a dry salt.

greenleafaquariums has a great dry kit on their website for around 20 bux
overstocked for rootmedic sells great liquid dosing solutions if u prefer that method. his is easy with the dosing pumps. dry salts u will need dosing spoons

either way those are the best to methods im aware of. as far as price, ease of use, and longevity of product

Sump Pimp #7

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

HD Blazingwolf... I put my filter on ground under tank. I did not know it werked this way. I am paranoid about water damage, do you think placing entire canister in 5 gal bucket would make it safer? thannkksss
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Username View Post
HD Blazingwolf... I put my filter on ground under tank. I did not know it werked this way. I am paranoid about water damage, do you think placing entire canister in 5 gal bucket would make it safer? thannkksss
You could set the filter in a tray if you are very concerned, but I would elevate the filter to avoid it from being submerged if a leak should occur.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 08:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
it will take a couple months for the HC to fill in if you follow the suggestions for dosing etc.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
A tray won't hurt anything. Buckets might. Better a small flood than an electrical fire. Also, you can ziptie your hose connections if you want to take extra precaution. Just don't zip them too tight and cut the hoses.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cool, yay!! So Kamikazi... Would something like Seachem's Flourish(something I can buy on Amazon.com). Could you guys recommend brand/fertilizer I should buy right now. I know I have a while till it sets in. Ohhhh, yah, can I just use my Hagen Nutrafin ladder as difusser. I also have a bubble counter/check valve that came with regulator. thankkssss

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode