My tank has been ugly. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (28/100%)
My tank has been ugly.

I've had a hard time lately with my tank. Hair algae is trying to take over and my plants have not been growing well. I refilled one of my DIY CO2 bottles, and have been trying to clean out the algae as best as I can. Did some water changes, as I hadn't done that in forever. Hopefully everything will start bouncing back. I guess it would be smart to start fertilizing? It's crazy how complicated things can get with a bunch of plants in a water filled box.

RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 03:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
What do you have in there as far as algae eaters. Foxes and amano shrimp are great. And since these won't stop the problem, you'll need to balance the light, ferts, and CO2. cut back on the time your light is on, add some fertilizers and amano shrimp, and see where that takes you.

"One day...one day, this path will lead us to the White City, and the tower guard will take up the call: the Lords of Gondor have returned!"

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 05:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
get a pleco (bristle nose plecos are great algae eaters and dont grow too big) and get some Malaysian trumpet snails. Avoid having the light longer than 8hrs (cuz algae grows in too much light) BUT! have adequate(sufficient) lighting during the 8 hours that u got it turned on.
Best of luck

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I'd hold on the fertz for a bit. It will fuel the algae. Control the lighting and the feeding first. If your plants show lack of nutrients the whole plant will hold until you start return adding fertilizer a week or so later. You can black out your tank for a few days. Do a water change first because once you start the blackout, you want zero light entering the tank.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 05:00 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm guessing you have insufficient CO2/ferts for your lighting. What size is the tank? What light/photoperiod do you use? Dosing regimen?

I would advise against a blackout in this case. Trim the dead areas, lower the lighting, get your CO2 situation squared away,increase circulation, and dose, dose, dose. Aim for healthy plant growth-don't fight the algae. Fix the areas that need fixing and wait-I guarantee your tank will rebound.

Just enough light + ample CO2 + ample ferts = happy tank.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (28/100%)
I have actually never fertilized, so I guess I will order some. I've been doing several water changes to get some minerals back in the water, and picking off as much algae as I can. I've added some CO2 so maybe it'll help. I only have Malaysian trumpet snails as far as algae eaters, but have been contemplating otos. Plecos are a no because they would eat my fish eggs that my pairs of fish have been laying. Thanks for all the encouragement!

RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
+1 on adjust/increase circulation. Especially if your CO2, ferts, & lighting are all balanced.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbuilder View Post
I have actually never fertilized, so I guess I will order some. I've been doing several water changes to get some minerals back in the water, and picking off as much algae as I can. I've added some CO2 so maybe it'll help. I only have Malaysian trumpet snails as far as algae eaters, but have been contemplating otos. Plecos are a no because they would eat my fish eggs that my pairs of fish have been laying. Thanks for all the encouragement!
Well, this is good news for you, then. Start dosing and let the growth begin!

Check out EI dosing if you're new to ferts- its a bulletproof dosing method.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode